Unique Military Jacket

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
raincrowe

Unique Military Jacket

Post by raincrowe »

I was able to purchase what Iooks like a WWII Flying Tiger Air Force bomber jacket....At first I was thinking it could be knock off
after looking and researching I still don't know... I found where one sold in 2012..This jacket is in excellent condition tan colored leather along with 5 patches and a map of United States inside...The jacket is made in Korea... by Phase2... size 44....
Patches include:
Flying Tiger
Ace & Jack 509 TAC FTR SQ
Red wing on pocket
Two others on the sleeves
I would appreciate any information on this Jacket thanks in advance

https://www.icollector.com/WWII-Flying- ... _i12109774
Attachments
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0717 (2).JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unique Military Jacket

Post by dlr110 »

Sir, I'm not an expert but if this jacket or any military issue clothing item is real it should have a tag in it with the "Mil Spec" number. Also I had several navy flight jackets and none of them had a printed pattern on the inner lining. The patches may very well be the real deal, but I would verify that the jacket was military issue.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'm with David.
I was issued several jackets over my 20 year Air Force career, and all had a tag similar to

JACKET, EXTREME COLD WEATHER
MIL-SPEC 1234-567
SIZE: L

I, personally, wouldn't classify that as an authentic WWII military issue.

But that's me, and I've been wrong before.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I am sorry to say, that is a "fantasy" item. There are very few surviving FT articles and for any one to have all those patches on it is not really possible. Nothing about it looks real, the leather, the lining, or the patches. Nothing survived in that good of a condition. If you didn't pay a lot, no problemo, you should simply know better. If you paid anywhere near what a real FT jacket would bring you'd better sue to get your money back. Looks like something one would buy in a "Banana Republic" store to try to look cool. I also see the auction estimate was $250-$500, were it a real FT jacket the auction estimate would be ten times that. If a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

That's why I ask I'm no expert....I got the jacket for less than $100 so I'm satisfied with it
Are the patches real or are they fake also? ....What do they represent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Tac ... r_Squadron
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I don't believe an authentic World War 2 would be made in Korea.
I Googled Phase2 bomber jackets and a lot popped up on EBay.
Hope You didn't pay to much for it, but even if you didn't, I would demand a refund for selling a known reproduction. ::handshake::
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Phase-Two ... 4270741101
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I see you commented while I was typing.
If You're happy with it all's good! ::handshake::
I have no answer on the patches.
Tim
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks I had the same thoughts about Korean made and I bought it at reproduction price...Although it looks good and very well made!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The label "PHASE 2" is a giveaway to its authenticity.
https://poshmark.com/brand/Phase%202

Like the above AAPK members stated. Military clothing and equipment are identified by a strict inventory procedure, even to this day.
Below is a example of my inclement cold weather hat issued to me in late 1966 / early 1967 at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. I still have it.
Funny thing, the wording always seems to be backwards.
The same hat could have easily been issued in the Korean conflict and WWII era. Certainly not required in Vietnam.

IMG_0003 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0001 (1).JPG

Our Granddaughter and her U.S. Marine husband are both currently on deployment, I will attempt to get some current clothing / equipment pictures from them. (Can't promise that though) ::hmm::
Dan

IMG_3535.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 pm The label "PHASE 2" is a giveaway to its authenticity.
https://poshmark.com/brand/Phase%202

Like the above AAPK members stated. Military clothing and equipment are identified by a strict inventory procedure, even to this day.
Below is a example of my inclement cold weather hat issued to me in late 1966 / early 1967 at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. I still have it.
Funny thing, the wording always seems to be backwards.
The same hat could have easily been issued in the Korean conflict and WWII era. Certainly not required in Vietnam.

IMG_0003 (1).JPGIMG_0002 (2).JPGIMG_0001 (1).JPG

Our Granddaughter and her U.S. Marine husband are both currently on deployment, I will attempt to get some current clothing / equipment pictures from them. (Can't promise that though) ::hmm::
Dan

IMG_3535.JPG
Still have mine!
Also my parka and mukluks!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Steve I still have my flight gear also, but I think it shrank over the years! ::shrug::

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

raincrowe wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 pm That's why I ask I'm no expert....I got the jacket for less than $100 so I'm satisfied with it
Are the patches real or are they fake also? ....What do they represent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Tac ... r_Squadron

Patches are all fake. Look up real AVG (American Volunteer Group which was the actual designation for Chenault's flyers) patches. They are super rare and VERY pricy and the ones on your jacket are pitiful fakes. You didn't really think you'd get anything real for that price did you??
eveled

Post by eveled »

It seems like Yoda wrote the descriptions on those patches on the real military issued stuff.

OldFolder. Those are two of the best looking people I’ve ever seen in uniform. You must be very proud. I’ve added them to my prayer list. For a safe deployment.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OF, very sweet family. ::nod:: ::nod::

Not about this jacket but would the Flying Tigers have regular issue military garments as they were not associated with the USA at first but were flying for the Chinese? ::shrug::
But it is a cool jacket. Bet it will start conversations when you wear it. ::nod::
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I just saw the jacket and bought it I liked the patches and nice leather....I had no idea one way or the other if they were fake....but I guess if they fake Morgan silver dollars, Indian arrowheads, Counterfeit pocket knives and many other items wouldn't be a problem with military memorabilia!!

https://www.heddels.com/2017/11/america ... e-guide-2/

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0993jacket/
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

doglegg wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 pm OF, very sweet family. ::nod:: ::nod::

Not about this jacket but would the Flying Tigers have regular issue military garments as they were not associated with the USA at first but were flying for the Chinese? ::shrug::
But it is a cool jacket. Bet it will start conversations when you wear it. ::nod::
Lol.... already seems to be topic of discussion :)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

doglegg wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 pm OF, very sweet family. ::nod:: ::nod::

eveled wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:58 pm It seems like Yoda wrote the descriptions on those patches on the real military issued stuff.

OldFolder. Those are two of the best looking people I’ve ever seen in uniform. You must be very proud. I’ve added them to my prayer list. For a safe deployment.
Thank you so much for your compliments and prayers for our children.
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Why are there posts about BS fantasy clothing items on a knife forum? If the mods here were doing their job this post would have never seen the light of day. There are tons of militaria and uniform forums where this would be an appropriate post.

BTW that jacket was sold in the 70s or 80s by one of the clothing stores that used to live in malls. the jacket and the patches are total fantasy.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

cottage hill bill wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 pm Why are there posts about BS fantasy clothing items on a knife forum? If the mods here were doing their job this post would have never seen the light of day. There are tons of militaria and uniform forums where this would be an appropriate post.

BTW that jacket was sold in the 70s or 80s by one of the clothing stores that used to live in malls. the jacket and the patches are total fantasy.
Good morning and God's blessings to you, too!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their input!
In closing I've found this jacket wasn't issued by the American Air Core!
I don't believe it was by the Chinese Air force either after looking at numerous patches!
What bothers me is why someone would use the (905 TAC FRT SQ) call letters instead leave the banner blank?
This jacket is very well made and seems to involve the Flying Tigers.. a reenactment; a Military citation ;a movie prop; the Korean conflict or some other event could very well be the reason this historical jacket was made if so what year and how many?
Perhaps we will never know but would be interested if any more information would become available!
Attachments
IMG_0747 (2).JPG
IMG_0746 (4).JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:10 pm
cottage hill bill wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 pm Why are there posts about BS fantasy clothing items on a knife forum? If the mods here were doing their job this post would have never seen the light of day. There are tons of militaria and uniform forums where this would be an appropriate post.

Good morning and God's blessings to you, too!
::tu:: Steve

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”