P-51 can opener

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
cody6268

P-51 can opener

Post by cody6268 »

I've always wondered what the big deal about these was. I had a knockoff P-38 with a NATO number on it--it was utter GARBAGE. Very soft steel, and wouldn't even puncture a can without bending. I prefer using my knife's can opener. Can't get the can on an electric one, and it's a little tricky wtih crank ones, especially the cheap ones (mine are Ecko from the '70s and a modern, French Nogent "Kim" that copies the Ecko). I was ordering some sharpening stones and other gear from a seller, and found they had the Shelby P-38 and P-51 for less than a half-buck each. They even threw in an extra P-38 by taping it to the paper my order was wrapped inside the box with.

As I understand, Mallin Shelby hardware went out of business in 1973, so they are quite old. Guessing Vietnam or before.
IMG_2019-12-12_18-17-25.jpeg
The P-38 is too small, in my opinion, Works, but is slow and cramps my hand. P-51 on the other hand--best can opener, EVER! Quick, relatively clean-cutting, and comfortable. And weighs practically nothing at all.
IMG_2019-12-12_18-17-14.jpeg

Will be buying more P-51s and adding them to keychains, as well as my knives with bails and no can opener.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: P-51 can opener

Post by Jeffinn »

The p51’s are very cool. I had one for years but I lost it a few years ago when some miscreant stole our car out of the driveway (left the keys in it while we warmed it up to drive to work at 5:30 in the morning).
I used that little can opener a lot because it worked so well, I might have to get another one.
Thanks for posting that!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've carried a P-38 on my key ring for a small forever. For me, it works just fine but I haven't used it in years. It's just an old friend and a comfort to know it's there. Had to put shrink tube on it because "my old friend" started coming open in my pocket and biting me. Maybe it was asking to be retired.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Hmmm, mine may have been a P38, I remember getting it at a army surplus store many many years ago. I used it a bit when we used to go camping. A very simplistic design that simply did what it was designed to do.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just in case there's that one individual out there that doesn't know what they are or the difference in them.
Attachments
91+ggnuaw3L__AC_SL1500_-Labeled.jpg
81q0D5zlZGL__AC_SL1500_.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Thanks for that visual reference Jerry, mine was a P38.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I had not heard of the P-51. I want one.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I kept a P-38 on my key chain for a long time. It came with the MREs we got during an exercise. Used it on a few occasions to open cans, mostly used the flat tip as a screwdriver or pry tool. Pretty handy. Like Jerry's, eventually mine wouldn't stay closed. I finally got tired of jamming the point under a fingernail while reaching for my keys.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 pm I kept a P-38 on my key chain for a long time. It came with the MREs we got during an exercise. Used it on a few occasions to open cans, mostly used the flat tip as a screwdriver or pry tool. Pretty handy. Like Jerry's, eventually mine wouldn't stay closed. I finally got tired of jamming the point under a fingernail while reaching for my keys.
I'm tellin' ya. Shrink tube is the answer. Easy off, easy on. Over a year and still going strong. My leg thanks me every time I put my jeans on.
Attachments
1213191218.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 pm I kept a P-38 on my key chain for a long time. mine wouldn't stay closed.
I 'scotch' taped mine shut. Easy to undo if I wanted to use it. Now I am going to look for the bigger one.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Unfortunately I took it off years ago. Have no idea where it might be, IF I still have it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
eveled

Post by eveled »

I like the idea of having a p38 on a key ring for emergencies but it never really worked out for me. This is my solution. It hangs better and never bites me.
C3AFFE6A-4C24-44B6-8FA6-0CD6A35EB29A.jpeg
Does anyone know how many companies made p38’s / p51’s.
eveled

Post by eveled »

This one is interesting it’s called a “Fred”. WW2 Australia military issue. Same opener with a spoon attached.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_R ... ing_Device
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Back in the C-Rats days I used the can opener on a Swiss Army knife (even though the P-38’s came with the C-Rats). When the MRE was first introduced (OD Green bag - mid 80’s I think) you needed a sharp knife blade - not for the package but for the meat! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::uc:: Those P-38's are leg cutters. I used my Buck 110, but kept that P-38 on my keychain. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For $1.50 (don't know what the shipping is) you can get a couple of F.R.E.D.'s at ===► https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/ultimat ... gIxnvD_BwE
FRED.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”