What is it and it's us

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What is it and it's us

Post by kennedy knives »

Would Like to know if anyone can provide any info on this . What it may be used for or ETC . Thanks Gary ::shrug::
Attachments
What is it 003.JPG
What is it 004.JPG
What is it 005.JPG
What is it 006.JPG
What is it 001.JPG
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: What is it and it's us

Post by deo-pa »

It looks to me like a type of combat entrenching tool Gary. I assume the bottom edge in your photo is at least somewhat sharp so it can be used like a machete, correct? The cut-out area on the top side would be a place to put your foot to help you dig.

Not sure about that swing-out piece that nests with the handle. The end of that piece (the part that looks blue in the 2nd photo) look like a knife; is it? If you swing it up from the handle does it lock perpendicular to the main axis? No markings or numbers?

I have seen photos of entrenching tools used for combat and the Army does teach how to use them as defensive and offensive weapons.

Dennis
Attachments
Combat.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thanks this is a new one on me ::shrug::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I know that at one point, there was what was called a "trowel bayonet", but this looks a whole lot newer than Spanish-American War era. Homemade, prototype for something? Whatever it is, it looks cool.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

cody6268 wrote:I know that at one point, there was what was called a "trowel bayonet", but this looks a whole lot newer than Spanish-American War era. Homemade, prototype for something? Whatever it is, it looks cool.
It is cool was donated to our Military Museum Patriots Hall in Walhalla South Carolina and they ask me to see if I could Find any Info on this as to age ,purpose . Looks like it has some modification on it . The Blade is sharp on both side's and is 15 1/4", OVL length is 20 " . Well made leather Sheath . Dennis gave some good info . Would Like More . The Board of the Museum would like to display if I can come up with a little more Info
Thanks Gary Kennedy ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Is there anything stamped on this? Never seen anything like it. Looks like something you would want to avoid being hit with.
SSK
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

In 40+ years of collecting military knives/bayonets/tools, I have never seen anything remotely like this one.

Some observations

- the really rough welding tells me this is not a factory item. Either a prototype or a homemade/theater weapon/tool.
- the sheath incorporates the metal bail of the US Army web belt carry system which came out initially in 1910.
- the sheath is nicely designed for such an odd tool/weapon. The snaps were still in use, at east for canteen covers up through the post-VN era.
- the handle material/shape/fittings looks WW2 or earlier to my eyeballs.

Speculation - could the funky lever on top of the knife be some kind of explosive ordnance crimping device and the blade a digging too for explosives emplacement?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This would be a great one to send to Bernard Levine in his Knife Magazine column Whut Izzit?

Frank Trzaska or Mike Silvey would also be good ones to contact for info. You might even send it to Mark Zalesky at Knife Magazine, he has a pretty broad base of knowledge himself.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

it kind of reminds me of a Cant Hook or Cant Dog. Maybe they used the cutout and spike to roll small branches or logs forward and the sharp edges are for chopping. Could be completely wrong. It's the weirdest looking tool I have ever seen. Hope someone knows for sure because now it's going to eat at me.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Wow Great Info Thanks I will try sending it to Mark at Knife world . Keep it coming ::tu::

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”