Need Info on USM 3 Case Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
mandyjo717

Need Info on USM 3 Case Knife

Post by mandyjo717 »

Hey y'all, I'm back with another knife from my father in law. It appears to be military grade, but doesn't have a lot of defining marks on it to truly tell me the era. I popped it into Google and eBay and found stuff saying it was WWII, Korean and Vietnam era. So I came to the experts!!!

I'm looking for any and all info on this knife and sheath, and any suggestions for a selling price.
Attachments
0130181343.jpg
0130181343b.jpg
0130181344d.jpg
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need Info on USM 3 Case Knife

Post by 98src »

CASE made one of the more desirable M3s, and the blade marked ones were earlier...hence , even more desirable. Yours was probably issued in a leather scabbard. The later ones came in the scabbard that you have. I haven't priced any lately, but I'm sure they are over $200.00
Gunsil

Re: Need Info on USM 3 Case Knife

Post by Gunsil »

The first model was similar to yours but it had the date 1943 after the marks yours has, yours is a second version. The first ones came in a leather M6 scabbard and so did some or most of yours. The M8 scabbard you have is the earliest model of this scabbard without the wire hooks so it could be right for your knife. Yours is definitely a WW2 made knife, likely late 1943, and perhaps some were still issued in Korea, but not 'Nam. The M3 was discontinued in favor of the M4 bayonet which used the same blade style and length but with a loop and lock system to affix it to a rifle or carbine. The last version of the M3 has the marks on the guard rather than the blade. No M3 knives were made after WW2. (Except for ones made of leftover parts after the war and these won't usually have the ordinance flaming bomb on the butt plate or pommel.) Yours is lacking some condition, and would be more sought after with the leather M6 scabbard but it is still a cool WW2 knife.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”