From Argentina

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
asigarza

From Argentina

Post by asigarza »

Hi everybody
My name is Santiago (52). I'm folding knives collector specially marlin spike folding, this is my small collection [image][/image] there are some British, American, German and Argentine rigging folding knive

thanks for reading
Attachments
gavieras.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: From Argentina

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well there's a country we haven't heard from yet (that I know of). That's a fine looking group of Spikes you have there.

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign - New+.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Nice set of Marlin spike knives!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Hi and welcome! ::handshake::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Hola Santiago,
Bienvenidos a AAPK. La coleccion es amable.
Donde esta in Argentina?
He viahado a Buenos Aires, San Miguel de Tucuman, y Santiago.

Tony
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome Santiago! ::handshake::

I have read about the facon knives carried by the Gauchos and would like to own one someday. (If folks aren't familiar with these knives the ornate ones are beautiful; see this article: http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/facon/criollo.html).

Santiago, can you tell us about pocket knives made in Argentina and maybe include some photos? Does Boker still make knives in Argentina?

Dennis
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

jerryd6818 wrote:Well there's a country we haven't heard from yet (that I know of). That's a fine looking group of Spikes you have there.

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks Jerry
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Nice set of Marlin spike knives!

Ken
Thanks Ken
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

::tu::
Quick Steel wrote:Hi and welcome! ::handshake::
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Tony_Wood wrote:Hola Santiago,
Donde esta in Argentina?

Tony
Hola Tony ..soy de Buenos Aires, vivo a 5km de Aeropuerto Internacional de Ezeiza..

Hi Tony, I'm from Buenos Aires 2 mile ago the Ezeiza International Airport
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

deo-pa wrote:Welcome Santiago! ::handshake::

I have read about the facon knives carried by the Gauchos and would like to own one someday. (If folks aren't familiar with these knives the ornate ones are beautiful; see this article: http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/facon/criollo.html).

Santiago, can you tell us about pocket knives made in Argentina and maybe include some photos? Does Boker still make knives in Argentina?

Dennis
Hi Dennis, Mr Domenech is the most important expert about knives in Argentina.
The Knifemaking in my country isn't a big industry, there are only 2 famous factorys: Eskiltuna y Boker. The first focuses in frigorific industry knives and Boker producting low cost folding knives for the local market.
But....there are a lot of awesome knifemaker CAS Brothers, Manuel Quiroga Guiraldes (wonderful Gaucho's knives) and the son of the knifemaking in Argentina Mariano Gugliotta for example..
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

asigarza wrote:
Donde esta in Argentina?

Tony
Hola Tony ..soy de Buenos Aires, vivo a 5km de Aeropuerto Internacional de Ezeiza..

Bueno,
Avenida 9 de Julio?
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Mr Domenech is the most important expert about knives in Argentina.
Thank you Santiago. Yes, Abel Domenech wrote the article I linked to about gaucho knives. (AAPKers, here is his website: http://www.domenech.com.ar/cuchillos.htm. It's in Spanish but you can use Google's translate button.)

Santiago, I can't find information about the company Eskiltuna. The name is very similar to the famous Swedish knife company Eskilstuna. Is there any relationship? Can you tell me where I can see some pictures of Eskiltuna knives?
The first focuses in frigorific industry knives...
I've never seen this word before. I assume it refers to the rapid quenching technique. What Henckels calls "Friodur."

Dennis
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

deo-pa wrote: I have read about the facon knives carried by the Gauchos and would like to own one someday. (If folks aren't familiar with these knives the ornate ones are beautiful; see this article: http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/facon/criollo.html).
Dennis
Welcome, Santiago!
Dennis, I would love to get one of these knives, but I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, the cream from the tourista stuff. The ones I have seen on ebay look to me like tourist knives. I tend to leave a genre alone if I can't learn enough about it to keep from getting burned. The antique (?) ones I see are stunning!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I would love to get one of these knives, but I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff...
I feel exactly the same way tongue. Maybe Santiago can be our guide and us which ones are the wheat and which are the chaff? Or maybe he knows of a source in Argentina which is reliable and trustworthy.

Dennis
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: from the Panhandle of Florida. (I've yet to own a Marlin Spike and I have no excuse. ::facepalm::) You have an interesting assortment that is very nice.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Tony_Wood wrote:
asigarza wrote:
Donde esta in Argentina?

Tony

Bueno,
Avenida 9 de Julio?
Hi Tony, yes near Av 9 de Julio
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

deo-pa wrote:
Mr Domenech is the most important expert about knives in Argentina.
Thank you Santiago. Yes, Abel Domenech wrote the article I linked to about gaucho knives. (AAPKers, here is his website: http://www.domenech.com.ar/cuchillos.htm. It's in Spanish but you can use Google's translate button.)

Santiago, I can't find information about the company Eskiltuna. The name is very similar to the famous Swedish knife company Eskilstuna. Is there any relationship? Can you tell me where I can see some pictures of Eskiltuna knives?
The first focuses in frigorific industry knives...
I've never seen this word before. I assume it refers to the rapid quenching technique. What Henckels calls "Friodur."

Dennis
Sorry about my poor english, knives for butchers, the factory is Eskilstuna, produce under licence of Eskilstuna of Sweden....http://www.eskilstuna.com.ar/

Abel is the main researcher about knives in our country. He has published a few books, the most important "Del Facon al Bowie" (Facon to Bowie) its a time line about the evolution of the knife. Only in spanish
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

tongueriver wrote:
deo-pa wrote: I have read about the facon knives carried by the Gauchos and would like to own one someday. (If folks aren't familiar with these knives the ornate ones are beautiful; see this article: http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/facon/criollo.html).
Dennis
Welcome, Santiago!
Dennis, I would love to get one of these knives, but I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, the cream from the tourista stuff. The ones I have seen on ebay look to me like tourist knives. I tend to leave a genre alone if I can't learn enough about it to keep from getting burned. The antique (?) ones I see are stunning!
Dennis....if you want one of this, a true one not for tourist I send it to you and you send me a marlin spike. Agree?
As you said almost on Ebay are for tourist, but there are some tricks to detect fake knives. If you agree next week can write a tutorial about it.
The knives of this picture are for special events, not for daily use. There are some with more than 100 years (british blades are the most wanted) and modern.
The EDC gaucho knife has a wood handle and leather sheath.
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

deo-pa wrote:
I would love to get one of these knives, but I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff...
I feel exactly the same way tongue. Maybe Santiago can be our guide and us which ones are the wheat and which are the chaff? Or maybe he knows of a source in Argentina which is reliable and trustworthy.

Dennis
Sure deo-pa...I'ill help you
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

::tu::
treefarmer wrote:::welcome:: from the Panhandle of Florida. (I've yet to own a Marlin Spike and I have no excuse. ::facepalm::) You have an interesting assortment that is very nice.
Treefarmer
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Dennis....if you want one of this, a true one not for tourist I send it to you and you send me a marlin spike. Agree?
Sure Santiago, that would be great! I will send you a private message (PM) with photos of my marlin spikes (I only have a few) so you can choose the one you want. Or if you are looking for one in particular I will try and find it for you. It may take a day or two for me to send the PM. Thank you!

Dennis
PS - The Eskilstuna kitchen knives look to be fine knives.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Hi Santiago! I'm glad you were joining the forum. I also like sailors' knives, and I have some British and German.
I'll be glad if you could give me some information about an Argentine knife, which I found by accident. An old kitchen knife. Interesting mark I had never seen bеfore. M.Mieres & Cia, Buenos Aires. Searching the net, both in English and in Spanish, gave almost no results. The only thing I understand is that it is from Argentina, and the company at the beginning of the 20th century was bought by another company dealing with arms trade production.
I bought it from an elderly man in a village, near to Serbian border. He told me the following story. In 1912 Bulgaria was preparing for the Balkan War. The government announced mass mobilization. Penalties for refusal of mobilization were provided. 4 million population of Bulgaria at the time, collected 800,000 Army. The grandfather of this man was rich and did not want to participate in the war. Along with their whole family, they flee from Bulgaria and emigrate to Argentina. Several years later, after the end of the wars, his father returned to Bulgaria.
Attachments
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4921.JPG
b4b540824f41.jpg
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Sure Santiago, that would be great! I will send you a private message (PM) with photos of my marlin spikes
I've sent you a PM Santiago.

Dennis
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Hi Eustace, please to meet you.
I'm not an expert but give me a few days and will try to help you

Regards

Eustace wrote:Hi Santiago! I'm glad you were joining the forum. I also like sailors' knives, and I have some British and German.
I'll be glad if you could give me some information about an Argentine knife, which I found by accident. An old kitchen knife. Interesting mark I had never seen bеfore. M.Mieres & Cia, Buenos Aires. Searching the net, both in English and in Spanish, gave almost no results. The only thing I understand is that it is from Argentina, and the company at the beginning of the 20th century was bought by another company dealing with arms trade production.
I bought it from an elderly man in a village, near to Serbian border. He told me the following story. In 1912 Bulgaria was preparing for the Balkan War. The government announced mass mobilization. Penalties for refusal of mobilization were provided. 4 million population of Bulgaria at the time, collected 800,000 Army. The grandfather of this man was rich and did not want to participate in the war. Along with their whole family, they flee from Bulgaria and emigrate to Argentina. Several years later, after the end of the wars, his father returned to Bulgaria.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”