IXL Canadian Navy Knife.

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
cody6268

IXL Canadian Navy Knife.

Post by cody6268 »

I happened across this one on Ebay today. The seller wanted $60, a bit much for a beat up knife, so I offered $45, which was accepted. I know the pattern as the WWI 5" closed British Navy pattern, however, I noticed the Canadian Ministry of Defense "C Broad Arrow" stamp on the marklinspike, denoting it has having been issued by Canada. I am familiar with Case (and their subsidiary Metal Stampings Limited based in Nova Scotia) making them in WWII and just after, and Keen Kutter (WWI) making them for Canada, but not Wostenholm. I did some research, and couldn't find another like it. Does anyone know more about these?

Seller's photo.
W_BAK_s-l1600.jpg
cottage hill bill

Re: IXL Canadian Navy Knife.

Post by cottage hill bill »

The knife is one of the variations of the pattern 6353/1905 standard issue clasp knife. I'm in the midst of researching the Canadian knives. Your knife was made by George Wostenholm & Sons. They were one of the primary contractors of 6353/1905 knives for Canada. I don't have my notes to hand but I believe the 1915 contract with Wostenholm was for 150,000 knives. The primary American contractors were Camillus Cutlery and Schatt & Morgan. So far I have not found any evidence that E.C.Simmon, who owned the Keen Kutter trade mark made any knives for the Canadian military. Keen Kutter did make a knife in the 6353/1905 pattern, I have three of them. All the Wostenholm, Camillus and Schatt & Morgan knives in my collection have the C/|\ on the marlin spike. None of my Keen Kutters have the C/|\. If your Keen Kutter is marked I'd really be interested in seeing some pictures. It would certainly give me reason to dig deeper into the Canadian war time contracts.
asigarza

Re: IXL Canadian Navy Knife.

Post by asigarza »

Very nice knife...Congratulations

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”