Kukri Style Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Unclebob

Kukri Style Knife

Post by Unclebob »

This is a bit of an oddity; Whilst it looks a bit like a Kukri, it is definitely not. Markings are for Cossipore Arsenal (India) 1920. The whole thing is about 14" long. Does anyone have a clue?
DSCF7651.JPG
DSCF7635.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kukri Style Knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm confused. Why do you "definitely not" think it's a Kukri. Looks like every one I've ever seen (pictures of). Do a Google search on "Kukri images" and this is what you get ---> https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.m ... ZOi_-oJEg4
Since I've never held one in my hand (wanted one for a long time though but afraid I'll end up with a cheap Pakistani knock-off), is there something I'm missing here? Please educate me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

That is actually a very good question jerryd6818 and not an easy one to answer!
The Indian and British were producing Military Kukris at this time, manufactured to a specific design (known to collectors as the Mk2). The design of this knife omits the cho/kaudi (notch) which ALL Kukri have, also, the handle doesn't compare to any Indian Kukri, before or since. It is a much more inferior tool/weapon to a Kukri, there's no balance and feel in its design. A Kukri is not just a 'knife', it is part of the Indian/ Nepalese culture. All parts of a Kukri have a name and meaning. It's a bit like calling a Ka Bar a Bowie knife.
Is it a machete? The size is no different to Kukri, so why produce it, when a Kukri would do the job? The British already had an excellent machete design, as did the Indian army, with their Golok.
I can only assume it was produced as a general purpose knife/weapon/machete. The fact that very few of these have survived, just goes to show (in my opinion) that it wasn't much good for anything!
Does this make any sense to you? as I said, it's a difficult one to answer. ::shrug::
A picture of a Mk2 Military Kukri, a far more elegant design.
WW2 Mk2 a.jpg
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I've collected khukuri's for nearly 36yrs and I believe that's a ww2 chindits khukuri, pretty rare knife ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You guys are way over my head. Thanks for your reply.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Ok I just went through my paperwork on khukuri's , this actualy is a between the wars model ,carried by Gurkhas in India, black handled versions marked 1920 usually with ginger grooves, designed for stabbing as well as chopping ::tu::
Paul,

Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

zed6309 wrote:I've collected khukuri's for nearly 36yrs and I believe that's a ww2 chindits khukuri, pretty rare knife ::tu::
The knife is dated 1920, so definitely not Chindit, as you now know! I think any odd or rare Indian knife/weapon/tool gets attributed to the Chindits. I've read plenty of books about the Chindits and the only large bladed weapons mentioned are Kukris, Goloks/Machetes and the Burmese Da.
A fellow Kukri collector, then! ::tu::
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

::tu:: I was Bob, I've only got about 5 now 3 old and 2 new,I've been using one for camping since the 80's, Love them ::tu::
Paul,

Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Currently I have no Kukri or kukri types. Just wanted to mention it as I just received my news from the OKCA that the knife that will be contested by the makers is this coming year the Kukri. The makers who enter will be supplied the blank and they will go from there. Next April I believe. The winter show is coming up shortly. If there is a show that should be attended at least once it is the big one in the spring at Eugene. There are not just one but probably many of any type knives available from Bowies to Auto's. It or the show last year was just unbelievable. A bunch of really good people. Hopefully Dale or some of the other vendors from there will weigh in. Don't know if it happens every year but 2017 was doubly great as there was a gun show on the premise also. I am an avid gun nut and I never made it to the gun venue. I don't think there is any way you could actually look at every individual knife for more than just a cursory glance in eight hours. If you have a few knives to sell bring them along there are buyers aplenty.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I just did some reading on the Cossipore gun, and shell factory.
Quite the story!
They are the single oldest surviving factory in India, and that alone is worth note.

Is there any reason you doubt the knife is authentic?
To me it would suggest a plain utility knife made in that era. Every region has their own style that is popular with the masses, and a Kukri style of utility knife made in that plant seems reasonable.

So says the 20 minute research guy on the net! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

I have no doubt that the knife is genuine, I was just curious as to where it fits in, seeing how they had the Kukri and machete already? Maybe an attempt to produce a combined weapon/tool. As a note, the weight of this knife is near the centre of the blade, whereas the Kukris is much nearer the tip, hence it doesn't feel like a Kukri in the hand.
americanedgetech

Well to ME, All knives can be considered as weapons. Even a pen knife.
But looking at certain designs it is easier to say :weapon or tool. The "look" of the knife you posted does not say 'weapon" to me. It looks like a utility knife or what we would call bush knife.(regional machete)? ::shrug::
That's just my opinion of it.
Ken Mc.

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I guess they was trying to turn it into a stabbing type weapon as the khukuri is really a chopping tool, I find the sirupate style blades slimmer and less curved so could be used in more a stabbing motion,I use a sirupate for camping,it's not as choppy as a full bellied Khukuri but more a alround tool ,the two on the left are sirupate style blades compared to the usual full bellied version ::tu::
2017-08-21 18.55.28.jpg
Paul,

Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

This photo recently turned up; Indian Army WW2;
Odd Kukri WW2.jpg
americanedgetech

Well looky there...
It looks like a dead ringer.
Look at that last pin placement. I'd say that you found it!
Ken Mc.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”