BAYONET

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
PUMAMADNESS

BAYONET

Post by PUMAMADNESS »

[image][/image]
Pick this up a few years ago
Pattern 1913 US Remington BAYONET cut down to a FIGHTING KNIFE in a rare webbing sheath
Attachments
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
americanedgetech

Re: BAYONET

Post by americanedgetech »

Ok, you have my attention Puma.

I do not understand the Chinese looking symbol on the knife. Plus the webbing sheath. The sheath appears to be the correct length for the knife but as you said the knife has been cut down.

I'm thinking the chicken, and egg thing... Could you fill in some of the details for a newb like me? :wink:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It is a Pattern 1913 made for the British Enfield Pattern 1914 rifle. The P1913s were made in the US by Remington and Winchester and are essentially identical to the British P1907 bayonets. To differentiate them in British service, the US made P1913s have the double grooves in the hand/grip scales.

It was cut down for various reasons -
- the tip broke and was then "fixed" by making a knife out of it
- it was chopped down to make it more useful (like the US M1905s were chopped to M1 length early in WW2)
- it could have found it's way to the US after WW1 and then was chopped down during WW2 to make a useful knife out of it as part of the many swords and sabers that were modified at the beginning of WW2 at places like Alamo Iron works in San Antonio TX.

The "symbol" is most likely a set of "stacked" British acceptance marks. The two "legs" at the bottom of the "stack" might be the a British "broad arrow" Ministry of Defence acceptance mark. There are a variety of these "broad arrows", ranging from an arrow like this one, or it might have a third leg or the arrow might look like one of those cartoon birds that are just a couple of swooshes.

Had the bayonet been a US M1905 or an M1917, it would have had a flaming bomb acceptance mark over US. The P1913 and M1917 are virtually identical.
PUMAMADNESS

Post by PUMAMADNESS »

That is all correct. The mark is a British acceptance stamp
These are most likely cut down for jungle use but who knows
The sheath is very rare. There are a few variations but not much info around about them
There is 3 in a Canadian collection
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Very interesting.
There is soooo much to learn in this "hobby" that I feel my brain is expanding. Not in a good way.... ::dang::

I remember playing with those WW leftover bayonets as a kid. Everyones dad had one but that is the first one that I have seen cut down into a knife.
It is kinda cool looking.
Thanks for posting it Puma, and Thanks for the details ZZY! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Interesting cut down, I have seen a few similar to yours but the sheath is the real prize... ::tu::
Looks like some nice work... ::tu::
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”