What is the favorite fixed blade that you own????

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is the favorite fixed blade that you own????

Post by btrwtr »

I have quite a few fixed blade knives I am fond of but I think this old KA-BAR is my favorite. Not really a fixed blade by strict definition since the fork, butcher and hunting blades are interchangeable.
Attachments
DSC07900.JPG
DSC07908.JPG
DSC07904.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cuz, you know me and western knives, I like 'em all. But that one of yours that Dale redid takes the cake. Absolutely fantastic.

The green stamps also brought back memories. We used to get them when I was a kid at the local Houchens grocery store. Momma had a book she'd keep them in and then we'd go down to the green stamp store and redeem them for stuff. I remember getting a toy guitar once, I don't remember them having knives though.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

btrwtr:
KA-BAR(Some believe the name to have been adapted From Killed A Bar??) Why Not? It is a great story, Has propelled KA-BAR into the top tier of Old American made Knives. It just doesn't get much better, a beautiful set. I for one would surely enjoy seeing that combo as a matched up slicer to that fork. Makes one wonder if one time there was a second handle to this set. It really makes no difference cause I have never seen this combo before and it leaves me drooling.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice knives posted here ::tu::

Does it have to be a military knife? I see this is not the fixed blade forum ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dimitri, Moss did get it started in the Military Knife sub-forum, but it is such an interesting topic that I would like to see this thread keep going - even if it has to be moved to the fixed blade forum. My 2¢ for what it's worth. OH
Ps I was sure hoping there would be more knives and more stories in this thread.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

D
Go ahead and move it if you want. Just gives me more fodder to pull from if not limited to military. I do think everyone if they desire can have more than one to celebrate.
moss
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I'll have to dig around and take some pics of s couple of my old bone handle westerns that are my favorites. But I guess this one takes the cake.

It's a western bowie made at the end of 1967 never sharpened with sheath, box, paperwork, and the original sales receipt.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

OK then, I am going to post two of my favorites one military related and one not.

This one has always interested me, very well made I don't believe the sheath is original but it fits so I left it with it. Inside the groove it is marked W.W. Herbert 1944, I have been unable to find out any information on this person, he could have been the maker or the owner during WW II ::shrug::

Here it is let me know what you think, I will post the other knife in my next post.
Attachments
19-1.jpg
20-1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dimitri, it appears that someone with some skill took a bayonet (not sure which one) and built themselves a heavy duty fighting knife around it. They ended up with a very nice knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Bruce ::tu:: I believe you are right, it is very well made.

I had a hard time deciding which non military fixed blade is my favorite but at the moment it is this Ruana. I found this one a few years back and it was never used, it sat quietly in its sheath gathering a light patina. I thought the finish was a bit crude compared to a Randall as I had never owned a Ruana before. So I put it to a little test cutting a phone book in half, cutting thick cardboard, rubber, a wood stick, etc. After my little torture test it can still shave hair off my arm! :shock:

It beats any Randall I have as far as sharpness goes.

If the knife was not so valuable I would carry it every day instead of the knife I carry now.
Attachments
r_zpsacdf4b57-1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wade, I remember when your parents found and acquired that Western Bowie for you as a gift - man you were excited (and rightly so!)

Dimitri, I have never had my hands on a Ruana, but like you, everyone who has posted about them has had glowing reviews - nice knife!

I am going to add my favorite civilian fixed blade, but it is actually a military oriented knife. Most of the Randall Model 1 knives are sold to military personnel and have been since WW-II. I have never carried this one - it never filled it's intended role as a fighting knife; it was presented to me by the Officers and NCO's of the 30th Corps Support Group on behalf of the Soldiers under my command during OIF in 2003 - that was very near the end of my career as a Soldier. I cherish the knife because of what it represents to me - the memories of those times and those Soldiers. OH
Attachments
Randall #1 Fighting Knife.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks, if you ever get to handle one you won't forget it!

What a beautiful knife your soldiers presented to you, how fitting a gift to someone who is a knife collector, you must be really proud! 8)
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful knives here, everyone.

Wayne, I especially like that KA-BAR. ::tu::
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The Saber Tooth by Jefferson Spivey. Those teeth cut steel. [image]
P1010227.JPG
[/image]
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Here is my favorite. It is a 1918 L.F.&C. Mk1 Trench Knife and matching scabbard. Unfortunately I do not have a story about it other than I got very lucky to find it. The grip unfortunately has had the blackened color cleaned off though.
Attachments
1918 LF&C Trench Knife pic1.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A fine looking speciman. Too bad about the cleaning, but unless you plan to sell it you can enjoy it without too much regret.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

1999 Marble's 7 inch Trail Maker Stag / Stag .....
You would not believe how this fits my hand with the
bump out in one spot, and the concave area on the off
side of the slabs....my go too knife for mtns, desert, hiking
and exploring

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
Attachments
000_0001 (2).JPG
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Old Hunter:
Just a suggestion: Regarding your M4 Bayonet. Why don't you consider getting another issue sheath whether it be leather or Hardback. Get together with your Pop and place such as the sheath I started this post with the beginning of his enlistment or Officer training whatever the case. Followed up with everywhere he carried it and then do the same with your time in service. Heck you could go ahead and pass it on to one of your progeny or hold it until there is another in your lineage who serves. You and I and all else involved may very possibly be gone but written instructions in your will could take care of that. Now that very well could become a bucket list item to all who follows this post. By the way I just may have an extra sheath for an M4. Let me know.
moss
Hmmm. I still have my original issue survival knife. Issued in 62, As an ECM operator flew on and off 7or 8 different CVA's from Alameda to San Diego to Arizona for some 20mm's and FC Radars to Hawaii to Kwajalein to Guam to the P.I. to Japan to Okinawa and all up and down the Coast of Viet Nam. I can see research is in order for the conserving part.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”