Mystery Scabbard/Sheath for the Camillus TL-29 ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
hanfischer007

Mystery Scabbard/Sheath for the Camillus TL-29 ?

Post by hanfischer007 »

Hey Guys.....Im new to the Forum and need your Expert help and advice....couple months ago..my Grand Daughter wanted me to get her boy friend a "good pocket knife"....so i have been a Military Collector for over 50 years....and immediately thought of the Good old Camillus TL-29...shopped around...went on Ebay and bought him a nice one....then "the bug" bit me...and I bought 4 more.....one I bought tho...was primarily for the Brown Leather Scabbard/Sheath....have never seen one like it.....the knife was in pretty good shape...the Scabbard as I call it....is made of Heavy Brown Leather...no Makers Marks anywhere that I can find...has the Military Style Lift the dot snap on it..and is in Good shape.....I would love to get a couple more of them.....but I have looked for the past week for a couple hours each nite...and no where have been able to find anything even similar to it.....either its a "one off parachuter rigger make"...or someone just took a scabbard at random and put it with the Camillus TL-29.......Im going to hopefully post couple of photos......and appreciate anyone taking the time to answer and help me try and solve this "Mystery"......Kind Regards..to a Great Forum.......Hans Fischer
Attachments
main photo.jpg
camillus#2.jpg
camillus#3.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mystery Scabbard/Sheath for the Camillus TL-29 ?

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK, but I can't help you. I have never seen one like it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Makes me wonder if someone didn't modify a Signal Corps scabbard. Just speculation because I've never seen one either.

First picture is mine. Second picture is from eBay.
Attachments
US Army Signal Corps CS-34 Tool Set Camillus Knife Utica Pliers.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
hanfischer007

Post by hanfischer007 »

Thanks Jerry for your response......and Im sorta leaning towards agreeing with you..especially on the 2nd photo.....I can see that one more easily transformed into mine than the first......the shape seems a bit different than the top one.......all I have been able to find have been the Set of Two Tools...its called the "TE-33 Set"...and until you posted the second photo.....just haven't thought of someone modifying the main scabbard......for some reason the second one tends to be almost mine......with a little trimming work of course...... maybe you have solved the problem......I Appreciate you taking the time and courtesy to answer.............when I bought the birthday present for my grand daughters boy friend......got a nice Camillus and it came with the Original box.....which he promptly tossed.!!!... :( and which I promptly retrieved out of the waste can.!!!!.....this even after me telling him now rare it was to find a Camillus with the Original box...etc..etc...but he is definitely NOT a Collector.....anyway.....I wound up actually purchasing I think about 5 of the TL-29 and last nite bid on another one. :) .. its like peanuts...cant have one !!....also went on line to a jewelry supply site....purchased some polishing material and some attachments for my Dremel....so I can clean some of the blades up......Thank You Again........Best Always......Hans Fischer :D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hans the great thing about the (TL-29 designation for military knives only) Electrician Knife habit is there is a boat load of them around by several makers other than Camillus and they don't usually go for a lot of money. The not so great thing is the habit forming part. They can be as addictive as potato chips.

An added plus is they're modifiable and the finished product looks great. Here are some examples of what some of the knife mechanics on AAPK have done with Electrician's Knives.

There's an entire thread devoted to the Electrician Knife. You might find it interesting. The thread can be found here --> http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 63&t=19139
Attachments
Camillus%20TL-29%20Mod_mark%20side%20open.jpg
Glennbad Custom - Queen Electrician - Open.JPG
CamS_USMC.jpg
Glennbad Custom TL-29 Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

A few/ lot of those should be compiled into one gallery, for eye therapy
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mike, those are in my gallery.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK Hans! ::welcome::

I am inclined to agree with Jerry as to the origin of that sheath.
I would have done that If I had ever seen the sheath for the pliers and the TL-29.
Of course being in the Marine Corps all I was issued was a Camillus TL-29. I had to make a sheath for it out of an old combat boot and some leather boot laces. A field-expedient sheath. :mrgreen:
My TL-29.jpg
With jungle mud, hydraulic fluid and years of grease when I worked as a mechanic after the Marine Corps, the leather has pretty much lost all its original black color. It isn't pretty, but it still works.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
hanfischer007

Post by hanfischer007 »

Sir.....You are a True Artist..!!!! :D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

hanfischer007 wrote:Sir.....You are a True Artist..!!!! :D
Don't call him sir. He was enlisted. You'll confuse him. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

hanfischer007 wrote:Sir.....You are a True Artist..!!!! :D
::rotflol::

jerryd6818 wrote:Don't call him sir. He was enlisted. You'll confuse him. :lol: :lol:
:? ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This sellers got a similar one (lighter leather) with a Case electrician's knife.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-CASE-Pocket ... 2041066183

Tang stamp dates to '40-64, which makes me wonder if these sheaths are cut down CS-34s.
landon.sprague

Post by landon.sprague »

I recently bought a Cammilus tl-29 at a flea market in a sheath just like yours. It is very well made. Ill attach some pictures of the sheath and the knife.
Attachments
IMG_2352.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”