Picket Pin, exactly what is it?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Picket Pin, exactly what is it?

Post by djknife13 »

I have picked up a picket pin scabard and looked on line to see just exactly it is meant to hold. It came with a bayonet and the seller said he just stuck that in it and they didn't come together. On line the scabards pictured showed them with bayonets nearly identical to the one, a WW2 vintage US with 1900 stamped on the Mark side. I also found referance to a European tomahawk type weapon but they appear to be much larger than this 13 inch long scabard. I will download pictures when I have time to wait out my slow computer's ability to show them.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Picket Pin, exactly what is it?

Post by djknife13 »

I did another on-line search and this time found referance to a civil war era "pin" thing with a ring on top that would fit into my scabard and was used to tie the horse to. This is starting to make sense to me.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You may have already seen what this fella on the "Krag Collectors Forum" had to say about it.

"At least in theory a "picket pin scabbard" mated with a Krag bayonet has some problems.
  • Picket Pins were used by the cavalry (to stake out their horses - J.D.).
  • Cavalry troops were armed with carbines that did not/could not use a bayonet.
  • Stories that the rifle bayonets were issued to cav troops in liew of a knife are without basis.
  • During the so-called Krag period, the picket pin, which is the purpose of the scabbard, was wrapped in the picket rope and didn't need a scabbard.

Finally, the "scabbard for the Krag bayonet" sold a lot of surplus leather. (what the hell does he mean by that? J.D.) "

So having never heard of a "Picket Pin" before this moment, from what he had to say, it appears that "picket pin" mated with "scabbard" would be a misnomer and the "scabbard" (sheath - scabbards are for swords) would actually be for a bayonet. I look forward to seeing a picture.

Any of the pictures here look like yours? -- https://www.google.com/search?q=picket+ ... d=0CB0QsAQ

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will come along and give us the true scoop.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Jerry, Yes that's what it looks like in those pictures. A bayonet dealer a the Duluth show told me they were rare and worth about $200. I saw one last night on EBay for a "buy it now" price of $44. There's alot of information out there on these things, and a little bit of it is actual. Thanks for your answer. Dave
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

The picket pin scabbard indeed held the picket pin which was all steel with one end tapered and a little claw hammer on the other end. I have seen many KRAG bayonets in the picket pin scabbards, but they were not issued that way. Probably a Bannerman expedient.....KRAG bayonets, but no scabbards , and picket pin scabbards but no picket pins.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”