Current US Military Pocketknife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Current US Military Pocketknife?

Post by knifeaholic »

I was just wondering, since Camillus is long gone, does the US Military currently have a pocket knife to replace the metal handled utility knife that Camillus made?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Iron Hoarder

Re: Current US Military Pocketknife?

Post by Iron Hoarder »

The only pocket knife we had that was issued to the squad was a TL-29 made by Camillus. It was called a demo knife since we were combat engineers. There was no issued pocket knife. This was 1995-1998.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

I have been wondering about this topic also. I collect Mil-K knives from WW2 forward. I have not heard anything about a replacement yet. Also Knifeaholic, I sent you an email about some of your knives.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I had a standard Camillus all steel pocketknife that was issued new to me in the early 1980's, my 1SG came into the office and handed it to me one morning - I remember it was quite dull and I gave it to one of my Soldiers and continued to carry a Swiss Army Knife (VICTORINOX). At some point in time, which I don’t remember, that style knife disappeared from supply rooms. During OIF in 2003 my ARNG unit was deployed from Fort Bragg NC, much gear was issued at the deployment station but no knives were issued except those that were in tool sets - commo, mechanics, etc., bayonets were not even issued. In the theater Bench-Made knives/SOG Tools were issued on an as needed basis (one of the Bench-Made pictured below), I’ll take a picture of the SOG tool later and add it. As for regular fixed blade and pocket knives those were an individual responsibility – I carried a KABAR medium stockman as my most useful knife/tool and a M-4 Bayonet in an M8A1 scabbard my Dad had given me during the Desert Storm era (he brought it back from Japan in 1956). My Soldiers had every kind of knife you can imagine, with tactical folders being the most prevalent. We had a big problem with US Army Customs in bringing back knives – they wanted receipts for foreign made, even if bought from the PX (AAFES) - all of their Iraqi souvenir knives (predominantly bayonets from AK-47's) went in the amnesty barrel - confiscated. The war trophy policy was seriously messed up, but I couldn't do much about it on their behalf. One last “war story” concerning knives and OIF – we flew on USAF chartered commercial airliner, entire unit on one jetliner. At Pope AFB, just before loading with each Soldier carrying his/her weapon and basic load, we had to collect all the knives and Leatherman type tools and tape them shut in a cardboard box that was entrusted to the Command Sergeant Major until deplaning in theater - FAA regs you know!!
Attachments
DSC02341_opt.jpg
Kabar Stockman.JPG
DSC02160.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

SOG tool and case, issue item from 2005. There were also Leatherman brand and Gerber brand issue items (tools) in 2003, but I don't have one and I don't have a picture - these tools seem to have taken the place of a general purpose pocket knife. I have a buddy who is the TNG NCO of a local ARNG unit, I will ask him what they are currently issuing.
Attachments
DSC03390.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I ran across this posted on militaryphotos.net:

Due to the high volume of calls and e-mails that have been received at Benchmade Knife Company from the members of our Armed Forces, we have tried to consolidate the information needed to purchase a Benchmade knife into this one area.
For those of you currently active in the military and interested in purchasing yourself a Benchmade knife, here are several options available to you.

1. If you are still currently state side and wish to purchase a knife locally, please go to our dealer locator and enter your zip code. You should get a number of authorized Benchmade dealers listed near you.

2. Regardless if you are still state side or not, you can purchase certain Benchmade knives through the National Stocking System.
The following knives have National Stock Numbers:
Model 9100SBT- NSN 1095-01-456-4457, NOW NAME: Knife,Combat, (Automatic).
Model 9053SBT ( Or Model 9050SBT , Civilian issue) - NSN 1095-01-446-4348, NOW NAME: Knife,Combat, (Automatic).
Model 140SBT- NSN 1095-01-466-8569, NOW NAME: Knife,Combat, (Fixed).

3. For a list of Benchmade Knives offered by the General Services Administration Federal Supply Service, please use GSA GS-07F-0311J.

4. If the above options are not workable for whatever reason, CLICK HERE, and it will put you in contact with Benchmade directly via e-mail. You can then purchase directly from the Benchmade factory. Please be ready to e-mail or fax your ID to Benchmade and we will do our best to provide you with the tools you need.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

msmiller - Welcome to AAPK. Grab a rack, stow your gear and report for duty.

If you would please, go over to Member Introductions and post your particulars - http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=20
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ConservativeKnives

Post by ConservativeKnives »

I have a brother currently serving in the USMC. He has told me that they aren't issued a pocket knife. They are issued a Kabar USMC Fighter Fixed blade if they are going on patrol or across the wire. This may differ from Army,USAF,etc
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

knifeaholic wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:56 pm I was just wondering, since Camillus is long gone, does the US Military currently have a pocket knife to replace the metal handled utility knife that Camillus made?
This is an old thread...but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

In the case of the GMTK the new "knife" is a Gerber Multi-tool. I retired 6 years ago, but there are so many knives in the "system" nowadays, that I don't believe there is a single across-the-board replacement in use for every application.
ConservativeKnives wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm I have a brother currently serving in the USMC. He has told me that they aren't issued a pocket knife. They are issued a Kabar USMC Fighter Fixed blade if they are going on patrol or across the wire. This may differ from Army,USAF,etc
This is correct...there isn't (or in my case - wasn't) a standard knife issued to everyone. "Issue" can mean a lot of things...and practices can vary far and wide from unit to unit. In some you can't get a gov't inkpen or make copies without bringing your own paper and in others things practically rain from the heavens.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

My son was a machine gunner on an MRAP in Iraq (U.S. Air Force, Security Forces).
He was issued a Gerber 06 auto with tanto blade.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

I never saw a Gerber auto during my service (96-15). I cant say I am very surprised though as Gerber has a bunch of items in the GSA catalog. I was, at various times, issued a number of Gerber Multi-tools (needle nose, bull nose, engineer version), a Gator, and I'm pretty sure a few others. My wife was issued an Applegate-Fairbairn folder in 2009.

The only autos I was ever issued were Benchmades. I was pretty shocked, too...first seeing them around '05.

Of course, all of the above are GSA items...not a "standard" issue but a unit level purchase through GSA and almost always while forward deployed.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Another knife with a NSN, but not general issue, the US version of the Victorinox 2008 soldier knife. At least it looks the part.
Just like the Swiss version, plus a U.S. mark on the handle and blacked out tools.
Just like the Swiss version, plus a U.S. mark on the handle and blacked out tools.
I own the regular commercial version, I find it to be a quite useful knife.
Azretired

Post by Azretired »

I served in the Army from ‘72 to ‘78 and the only issued knife of any kind was issued to Signal Corp types and that was the TL29. Bayonets were kept in a footlocker in the Arms room.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nephilim wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:05 am Another knife with a NSN, but not general issue, the US version of the Victorinox 2008 soldier knife. At least it looks the part.

us2008soldier.jpg

I own the regular commercial version, I find it to be a quite useful knife.
Those have really been tempting me. Ever since Victorinox added them to the catalog, that eliminated the $150 secondary market models (and the guy who was having them made and selling them), but I still am struggling to see the $30 upcharge for the black oxide coating, as cool as it looks, that's an extra SAK to me. Especially when the Gerber MP600 is hardly much of an upcharge to get black oxide over the bead-blasted finish.
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

The funny thing about these old issue knives....I gave away the Benchmades and kept the Camillus.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4971/Kr1F6Y.jpg
usmc69

Post by usmc69 »

ConservativeKnives wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm I have a brother currently serving in the USMC. He has told me that they aren't issued a pocket knife. They are issued a Kabar USMC Fighter Fixed blade if they are going on patrol or across the wire. This may differ from Army,USAF,etc
I can only speak for the time period of 1969-1993 for certainty. As far as pocket knives go the Corps issued the TL-28 and TL-29 to those who needed them. The infantry and office staff did not need them, only wiremen, combat engineers, and air wing pukes(that was me) got them. I have several of each type. TL-29's are black handled two bladed knives Ione is a knife blade and the other a blade that ends in a common screwdriver tip). The TL-28 is a three bladed knife(one is a knife blade, one is a common screwdriver with bottle opener and the third is a can opener). The TL-28 goes back as far as WW II,and then they were marked "U.S.MARINE CORPS". The issue TL-28's when I was in the Corps were only marked "U.S." Staff NCO's were issued K-Bars made by Camillus.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am ...We had a big problem with US Army Customs in bringing back knives ...
I can attest to that! I was in Iraq and Afghanistan as an adviser/trainer under the DOD and there were problems bringing home, automatic knives, blades over 6", bayonets etc... they could not be mailed via the APO system... What happened to the fraise "living in a free country" I know we need rules to have order, believe me I know that....but nowadays look around... ::paranoid:: ... what is happening to the American way of thinking? ::skeptic::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I think that a Leatherman Rev could be a great issue for all troupes....::poke:: just remove the sharp knife blade for the Marines! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”