Are these military?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Are these military?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Maybe some of the military collectors can tell me if these two compasses are military items, or knock offs made to look military by marking them "US"?
One is marked Wittnauer, who I think also made watches? The brass one has no markings.
IMG_5014.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5017.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Are these military?

Post by SwedgeHead »

Funny enough I collect vintage compasses too, mostly Taylor but I happen to have this Witnauer
It's actually Longines-Witnauer and was military issue in WW11. Here's a stock photo to confirm . (this one Air Force but other branches used it as well)

The brass one with no marking I have seen and have references on but will have to look it up again.
something fun for now at least.
Attachments
LWC.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

SwedgeHead wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 pm Funny enough I collect vintage compasses too, mostly Taylor but I happen to have this Witnauer
It's actually Longines-Witnauer and was military issue in WW11. Here's a stock photo to confirm . (this one Air Force but other branches used it as well)

The brass one with no marking I have seen and have references on but will have to look it up again.
something fun for now at least.
Actually I don't collect, these were part of a lot that my buddy bought and I am trying to determine what they are.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

That style of compass was issued from at least WWI, possibly earlier.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”