Sloped pole grooved stone axe

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Sloped pole grooved stone axe

Post by geocash »

This could be any early grooved stone axe because it is grooved on all four sides. Grooving apparently decreased as hafting methods improved. Maybe because of better glue or different fiber or who knows? I found it in my garden & in the second image you can see where my tiller hit it. Early may mean 5,000 or 6,000 years ago in this case. Anybody got thoughts on that?
Attachments
axe1.jpg
axe2.jpg
geocash
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sloped pole grooved stone axe

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a super find. Do you find a lot on your property?
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Nice find. Especially from your garden!!

My artifact books put the grooved axes in the Archaic period, approximate 6000 - 1000 B.C.

I have a few of those from walking miles and miles of field rows. Here is a similar.
4F2BABF0-D969-4A8A-B1F1-B105148DBEE0.jpeg

What state are you in?
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

doglegg wrote:That is a super find. Do you find a lot on your property?
Doglegg,

Not really. This stone axe & a drilled soapstone slab from my garden are all with the exception of a few knives & spear points. I found a few of those in my parents garden when I was a kid & that got me interested. And until the last few years, I believed that they were all arrowheads because everybody else did. I suspect that only two or three points that I've found here were actually made for arrows. The bow & arrow came into use in my neck of the woods around 1,700 years ago & were widely-used in a few hundred years. At least, according to an anthropologist at a college nearby. From other things I've read I believe that when De Soto & his entourage came through the South in the early 1540s they faced bows & arrows everywhere but they only encountered spear throwers on the Gulf coast. So, it seems logical that arrowheads, being rather new, would be greatly outnumbered by pointy artifacts from the previous 10,000 years or more. And many of the things casually referred to as arrowheads are obviously too large for an arrow. I could be wrong about a some of this, & I probably am, but the only way I'll find out is to put it out there for others to scrutinize. (If I'm careful to say stupid things to the right people I can get a free education.)
geocash
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Tony_Wood wrote:Nice find. Especially from your garden!!

My artifact books put the grooved axes in the Archaic period, approximate 6000 - 1000 B.C.

I have a few of those from walking miles and miles of field rows. Here is a similar.

What state are you in?

Tony,

That's a nice one. Don't you get some special feeling when you stumble on something like that? That old & made by people living in the Stone Age.

I'm in the extreme NE corner of Georgia. Very little land around here is plowed any more. I wish it was just for that reason.
geocash
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

geocash wrote:
Tony_Wood wrote:Nice find. Especially from your garden!!

What state are you in?

Tony,

That's a nice one. Don't you get some special feeling when you stumble on something like that? That old & made by people living in the Stone Age.

I'm in the extreme NE corner of Georgia. Very little land around here is plowed any more. I wish it was just for that reason.
No kidding and feeling special!
I found this one on a ditch bank at the end of an eroded cornfield. I went back the next year and found another one within 50 ft of where this one was found.
That is a great spot.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”