Another knapped knife

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
sunknife

Another knapped knife

Post by sunknife »

These two were made by another friend and master flintknapper and I acquired them along with 18 beautifully knapped and differently styled points in
a trade for making him an osage primitive self bow. I feel lucky to be the recipient of his generous trade and have mounted a couple of his points on arrows and hope to take a deer with one in the future. The first knife pictured is mounted on cactus wood handle and the point in that picture is a genuine artifact find given to me from another friend. This second knife with the black obsidian blade is mounted on a bone handle and the points in the picture were made by Nathaniel, the maker of both these knives.
Thanks for looking,
Greg
Attachments
flintknapped chola wood handled knife - 1.jpg
flintknapped bone handled knife - 1.jpg
Greg
sunknife

Re: Another knapped knife

Post by sunknife »

another pic of the bone handled knife;
Attachments
bone handled - 1.jpg
Greg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Sunknife,
These two look like they would be comfortable in the hand to use, not so sure about the 1st one with antler handle. ::hmm:: Have you ever dressed a deer with a knapped blade that you shot with a bow you made?
That's much of a buck on the wall behind the antler handle in your other post!
When we were farming I used to pick up a few points now and then, interesting stuff!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

All are very beautiful. Thanks for sharing those with us Greg. ::nod:: I see I'm not the only one who likes your Deer... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks for the comments Treefarmer. I've never used a knapped knife to dress a deer, although it's something I'd like to do once. I'm sure they could get the job done but for now I wanna keep 'em nice for display and not risk damaging them. Cool that you were able to find points on your farm, I know I'm fascinated with that kinda stuff although I've only stumbled upon one in my life and that was when I was a kid.

Thanks for the comments Mike, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the knives. The friends that made them sure have some serious skill.
Greg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”