Knapped knife

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
sunknife

Knapped knife

Post by sunknife »

I have a few friends who are master flint knappers and I got this stone knife in a trade with one of those guys. I mounted it on an antler from a small fork horn buck I had killed with a primitive bow some 20 yrs. ago. Hafted it with pitch glue and sinew wrap, and a couple strings of beads for decoration.
This is a display knife but is extremely well knapped and extremely sharp at its serrated edges, no doubt it would make quick work of skinning out a deer.
The second pic, held up with some light in the background, shows just how thin it is at the edges. Scott, my friend who made it turns out strikingly beautiful stone arrowheads and blades. The points in the picture were made by another friend.
Thanks for looking.
Greg
Attachments
flintknapped antler handled knife - 1.jpg
flintknapped knife - 1.jpg
Greg
XX Case XX

Re: Knapped knife

Post by XX Case XX »

Very nice. Both those are just beautiful. Must take some time to make those but it sure ends up as a work of art that has many uses. Like your Deer in the background too. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks Mike. I'm amazed at what these guys can do with a chunk of stone. I've watched the friend who made this knife kick out an arrowhead in much less time than I would have thought possible. I have absolutely no knapping skills but my 8 year old grandson has taken a keen interest in it and gets a few pointers for a couple guys a few times each year when we attend rendezvous together. He's been chipping away at a little stone and I think he'll stick with it and be the family's point maker. :)
Greg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The whitetail in your picture has a huge rack something not seen with mountain living whitetails which due to genetics & feed never get a truly large rack.
Is this the deer you got with your "primitive bow" ?
kj
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Yes KJ we're fortunate to have deer here in midwest farm country that can carry some nice racks. I took that deer in '95 with a shotgun not a bow. That
was the last year I gun hunted deer, been trying to get one like that with a bow ever since. :lol:
Greg
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Stone point from a friend and strapped to a antler of a old, not big,
but I am betting it was a special kill for one reason or another
don't reckon it gets much better huh Greg,
and you will have a hard time beating that whitey hangin on the wall

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman