info on Indian beaded sheath and knife

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

info on Indian beaded sheath and knife

Post by terryl308 »

::shrug:: Any experts out there on what tribe this could have come from? I'll tell you what I know, I bought it from a couple of young people at a gun show in Grand Island, Ne in the late 70's who had a whole table full of original Indian artifacts. They were selling their granddads collection and they were from North East Ne. So I am assuming they are either Pawnee or Sioux. The beaded sheath is in really good condition and looks to be sewn with sinew, also the knife handle is rawhide wrapped sewn with sinew. The knife may not have been one the sheath was made for and it is really rusty. Any info would be appreciated, AS AWAYS, TERRY
Attachments
indian knife 001.JPG
indian knife 002.JPG
indian knife 003.JPG
indian knife 004.JPG
indian knife 005.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
trutemper

Re: info on Indian beaded sheath and knife

Post by trutemper »

Hi, about all I can tell you is that the beadwork is definitely done in America and not some Japanese knock off. I agree that the knife did not come with the sheath originally. I belonged to an American Indian organization back when I was a kid. We made all of our own outfits including all of our own beadwork and was taught what was real American Indian designs were and so forth when it came to making our outfits and we were taught to dance and eventually went to powwows and competed. It was great fun and a real learning experience. Wish I could help more but that`s about all I can do since I`m getting up there in age and have forgotton a lot of specifics.

Bob
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

:D thanks for the response bob, I appreciate it. I'll keep looking, I believe some universities have American Indian experts , maybe I'll try the UNL site. Thanks again, as always, Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

The turtle represented Mother Earth to several tribes,,,, being the area
where you got this piece,,, my guess would be Lakota...Sioux
a beaded Turtle was placed on all newborn lakota baby girls cribs when they
were born representing good health and longivity of life
it was a powerefull symbol of eastern tribes as well
I have seen it from the east coast,,, to Apache,, Zuni,, tribes in the southwest
really, a symbol used by almost all the tribes in North America before the white mans coming
hope this helps

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”