Couple more points

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Gunstock Jack

Couple more points

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I recently found these and thought I'd post them to see what you all think. The two large are obsidian and the other looks like flint.
Attachments
IMG_2656.JPG
Gunstock Jack

Re: Couple more points

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Honestly. I just found 'em in the window sill where they've been since I knapped 'em out a while back. That is, I knapped the ones made from obsidian. The other flint piece I don't know from whence it came or if it is authentic or not. That's the trouble with "native" points, as I'm a native Washingtonian but not a native American. What I'm tryin' to say is that they can be very easy to counterfeit, even for an amateur like myself. I'm sure an archeologist would be able to spot my fakes, but the average guy may not. Did you think they were real or not?

Ouhunter, I appreciate your showing of the real thing and I fully understand where you're coming from when you suggested that the "thunderbird" and related points look too good to be really artifacts. There are a lot of really good knappers out there and their work commands high dollar. Ever heard of a guy named Callahan?(if memory serves, which is often not the case) His work is nothing short of awesome. Even here at the local sporting goods store they are selling knapped knives with jaw or antler handles attached with sinew. I think they're pretty cool, but just shows to go ya....
ouhunter

Re: Couple more points

Post by ouhunter »

Seem like i've heard his name a few time. There are some awesome knapper out there. The ones I don't care for are the one that pawn there's off as real Native American points. It takes an archeologist to tell what's real and what's not and sometimes it very hard for thme to tell. They will take the points when finished and put them in a fire to weather it and to bring out some colors. I built my house on my grand father Indian allotment he received back in 1902 here in Oklahoma. I bought 100 of the 160 acre and I will buy the rest later. I live on my 300 acre farm and I built my house on a hill and have 2 big gardens that have tons of flint. I have found alot of points there. ::ds::
Lose you temper and you lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”