Interesting some maybe real some not. Lend your expertise.

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interesting some maybe real some not. Lend your expertise.

Post by Mossdancer »

I think the knife Hawk hunting combo may have been trade items. I have seen the logo on the knife but can not find it. The double knife ax sheath is nice but recent. The hammer forged spike hawk may have been a trade item. The wolf jawed handled knife and sheath, The blade could be from an early era(looks late 1800's) The sheath could be an indian made tourist item from the 50's or possibly earlier. The nicely embellished skin covered hawk, nice but without removing skin who knows? I hope one of you is that person. The hawk with the lazy heart is recent I think. Made for pow wows and other reenactors. You help or thoughts would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that when I say recent I mean in the last 50 years to now.
moss
Attachments
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 001.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 002.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 003.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 004.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 004c.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 006.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 007.jpg
Some trade some phony. Help separate the wheat from the chaff. 008.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
gino

Re: Interesting some maybe real some not. Lend your expertis

Post by gino »

Thanks moss those are pretty cool. Awesome in fact. I never see anything like that here in PA but if I did I think I would buy it.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

moss awesome items ::tu:: ::tu:: Thanks for sharing ::nod::
Lose you temper and you lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Moss,

I used to do a lot of "buck skin rendezvous" stuff back in the 80's and 90's. I gave it up and sold most all of my stuff.

I think pretty much everything there except that bowie looking knife is pretty recent. I'd have to look real close at the head on that top hawk pic. The handle and all those "scalp lock" things are new. Beads may or may not be old "corns" ( cornelline de aleppo) or "white hearts" but I can't tell from the pic. There are still a LOT of old unused beads out there to be had that look pretty much they way they did when made a couple of hundred years back.

The blade on that skinner may be old, but everything else is newish. The sheath is nicely beaded in the "reservation era" style. One of my old girlfriends back then used to be damn good at that type of bead work.

It is a neat collection of stuff and you can throw those 'hawks all ya want. ::tu:: We used to try to cut each other's handles of in the hawk throwing competitions. Never saw one cut all the way through, but I've seen and done and had done to me a handle so gouged up it was hard to hold. When they got too bad, we'd throw the mess in the campfire and burn the handles out of 'em. Since all they ever did was get tossed we didn't worry about messing up any temper they may or may not have had. LOL
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

All looks recent (1970s-present) to me. I've seen a couple of throwing knives like that, seems like someone copied the old Hawken Shop pattern back about 1980 or so but I'm not sure the mark is the same as I saw then. Are you sure those scales are wood and not leather? Most folks went to leather after a while, wood doesn't last.

The jaw-handled knife is probably a recent blade (would need to see the other side to look for a mark). My guess is a common skinning blade from the local packing house, or a blade from Green River or one of the other makers. A picture of the teeth side of the jaw might possibly help identify maker--these were big in the early-mid '80s, and a couple guys at least did things different while making them.

Old Wullie, if you sew the handle in wet buff rawhide, it lasts a lot longer . . . specially if you wrap the handle with heavy piano wire before sewing on the cover!

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I'll remember that rawhide and piano wire trick if I ever decide to get back in that mess. LOL

I quit the "skinnin" scene because of the politics and the BS that some of the "well heeled" bozo's were spewing about their GREAT gear versus our old trashy junk. First five years I did that was with a strictly pre-1830 bunch of guys. We had some great times. Then a bunch of 'em got lazy and wanted to go to pre-1860 at the rendezvous.

I gave it up and did a time warp to the 1880's and went cowboy for several years. LOL Them fancy cartridge guns shoot a LOT faster than an old flinter. ;)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

A Different critter. Well made, nicely adorned. Maybe as early as 70. Any ideas welcome, they came with some Pabu's, a Greco. a Ken Ward and an old Koncept Back Alley Fighter. None of which were cheap when new so I figure this one should fall into a reasonably costly category.
Will post the rest when time allows. Any info on trademark in last photo appreciated. I syffered under the delusion that this was flint knapped till I checked it out closely. It is textured metal.
moss
Attachments
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 001.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 002.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 003.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 004.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 005.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 006.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 007.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 008.jpg
Custom made Stag Rough Blade 009.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM