Blunts or Stunners

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Luckypaul777

Blunts or Stunners

Post by Luckypaul777 »

This forum got me started; in collecting points and artifacts; although I have always liked them. ::nod:: Seems like all the knifers that I know; always collect something else with their knives. ::shrug:: My secondary hobby was coins and large US paper currency; now it's points and artifacts.

Anyone collect Blunts or Stunners; or know their use in ancient times? :? Most theories say for small game or used as a scrapper; not sure I buy the use as scrappers. :roll: Seems that other tools; were made for that purpose. I have acquired a few; and really like them for some reason; :) along with many other different points.

Paul
Attachments
DSCF7227.JPG
DSCF7227.JPG (100.27 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Blunts or Stunners

Post by philco »

Paul, I'm far from an expert on this subject, but it seems to me that the people who utilized those stone weapons tended to recycle the ones that got chipped or broken. I suspect that at least some of those "blunts" started out with a much sharper point and were later repaired and put to use once again. My artifact obsessed friend that I mentioned to you previously has told me it was apparently a common practice to reshape or resharpen the damaged "points" rather than discard them and have to start from scratch napping a new one.

I'll be watching this thread to see what input others may have on this subject.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Maybe they were 'blanks', to use on New Years Eve. :roll:

Seriously, Phil has it right. I always preferred to call all such artifacts points, rather than try to label them as arrowheads, spears, etc. Not only were broken 'points' re-sharpened to put to new uses, but some may have been originally made that way. Primitive man had many needs for sharp tools in woodworking, mat and basket making, sewing etc. And they'd be handier with handles. Points such as the ones you picture would make great little "pen knives"....eh ? :wink:

Fran
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Paul, I found this site that might help you out some on those and others you might find:

http://associations.missouristate.edu/m ... sguide.htm

Terry
Lose you temper and you lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Paul, Better one click on you region ::tu:: I just found this site pretty awesome ::nod::

http://www.theaaca.com/typology/Mapbyregion.html

Let me know what you think ::tu::
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
Luckypaul777

Post by Luckypaul777 »

Terry, thanks for the link excellent information. ::tu:: Nice collection that you posted. ::nod:: :mrgreen:

Paul
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Your welcome Paul ::tu:: Thanks, I can't wait to disc up the gardens and find more arrowheads for my collection ::ds::
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

[quote="Sauconian"]Maybe they were 'blanks', to use on New Years Eve. :roll:

Seriously, Phil has it right. I always preferred to call all such artifacts points, rather than try to label them as arrowheads, spears, etc. Not only were broken 'points' re-sharpened to put to new uses, but some may have been originally made that way. Primitive man had many needs for sharp tools in woodworking, mat and basket making, sewing etc. And they'd be handier with handles. Points such as the ones you picture would make great little "pen knives"....eh ? :wink:

Fran[/quote]
Love it. LMAO. Reckon they were allowed to discharge arrows in the village??
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”