Arrow Heads

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
ouhunter

Arrow Heads

Post by ouhunter »

Here is part of my collection. I find all these on my land here in Oklahoma. I live on my grandfathers Indian Allotment he received back in 1902. I'm Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian.
Attachments
DSCN0522.JPG
Hope you all enjoy!
Hope you all enjoy!
Lose you temper and you lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
blademaker

Re: Arrow Heads

Post by blademaker »

Very nice collection, thanks for sharing...enjoyed looking at all of them.
Nice country down in south eastern...what part may I ask? My bro has some inlaws down around Clayton....Chickasaw. Always been interested in indian culture although I have no heritage.
I just have one. Kinda weird finding it. I also live on granddads old place that backs up to the South Canadian.I had been fishing in a spot for a few days, then rain and the river swelled. When it resided, I went back to try my luck and it was just laying there waiting for me to pick it up?
Thanks again for sharing.

Craig
Attachments
arrow head.jpeg
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Very nice one! I live half way between Ada and Durant. When I was younger my garndpa would plow up the bottom 100 acres and I would spend hours looking for arrow heads. I would find a few each year. I bought part of my grandpa's place connected to land that I already own, I have a total of 337 acres. Back in 2003 I bulldozed a wooded hill and built a house and while they were building the house I started finding arrow heads all around! I have 1 - 50' x 60' garden and 1 - 50' x 100' garden that I find arrow heads in every year. I plow them up several times during the winter and spring. With all the rainy weather we have been having i haven't been able to plow it up so far this year. I plow it more for arrow head looking than gradening ::tu:: There is flint everywhere around my house. I bet there are quite a few around the river. Have you been catching any fish?
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome ouhunter. ::tu::

Most knife collectors have at some time or another looked at an old knife that has come their way and wondered what stories it could tell if it was able to talk. The same can apply to those old artifacts you have gathered.
When I was growing up there was a field near my home that was plowed every year for corn. (that was before the days of no-till corn production) Every spring I would walk the field looking for arrowheads and every year I would find several. I learned the best hunting was done after a rainfall had washed the exposed stone so that it contrasted more with the soil around it.
Many is the time that I have sat and pondered about one of those arrowheads I found and wondered about the person who made it from a chunk of flint long ago. I have wondered what their life was like.....how and where they lived. I've wondered if they lost that arrowhead in some game that they shot which eluded them and died later or if it simply got lost in the vegetation that was there then.
I have looked at various different "points" I have found and noted the differences and the similarities between them, wondering if the same people had made all of them or if they were the accumulation of the work of many generations.
Just like with many of my old knives, I wish they could talk...... I would sit and listen for hours on end.
Thanks for sharing your collection with us. ::tu::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Thanks for the welcome ::tu:: They just amazed me with there workmanship!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

ouhunter
Be hard pressed to find any rocks or flint on my place, seems I live on a great big sand pile. I really dont know where this one came from? It wasn't polished smooth like most the rocks the river offers up? If only it could talk.
Fishing has been good, with all the rain, seems like more of em migrate up from Lake Eufala...caught a slew of mississippi whites last year...
Great collection...still looking...thanks

Craig
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Thanks, Hopefully I can continue to add to the collection. I really have enjoyed this site and all the great knives! I only have a small collection of knives so far and trying to learn more. I'm into the Old Timer and Uncle Henry knives, but I like all kinds handmade hunting, skinning type as well. A good friend told me about this site, said that everyone was very nice. I want to learn more about blades, knives and what I've been reading this is the best place to learn! I want to buy a Uncle Henry 285UH Pro Trapper USA for my collection and I would like to get one to carry.

Terry
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

very cool collection ou. And to find them on your own land makes them even more special. Consider yourself lucky. you could be stuck in suburbia like me. Mark
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

GREAT STUFF!! ::tu::

I used to live up in Jack County, TX. About three miles North of my old place was a flint quarry. There were HUGE blocks of "pink conglomerate" flint and as far as anybody knows that was pretty much the place to get that type of flint anywhere in the country. I found hundreds of points and knives and scrapers and such over the years around there. Had coffee cans full of them. Can't put a hand on any of them now.

Back in the 80's, I was hauling cattle for a living. We were loading out in Clovis, NM one afternoon. I think we ran 8 loads of cattle up the alley to the loading chute before it was my turn to load. I was standing in the alley waiting for the first bunch to come at me and I saw a point laying in the dirt and cow poop. I picked it up and it was a perfect "Clovis" point. The old man that owned the place saw me pick it up and asked if he could see it. I handed it to him and he smiled and said, "I'll be damned. That alley has had at least 10,000 head of cattle run through it over the years. I've been hunting this country for 50 years looking for a point like that and ain't never found nothing but broke bits and pieces."

I told him he could have it if he wanted it and he thanked me and said that he knew I had an interest in stuff like that or I wouldn't have put it in my pocket. I told him he was welcome to it and he wouldn't have any of it. He said he'd keep looking and maybe someday he'd find one as nice. I mounted it in a little box and gave it to my mom. If my sister don't nab it before I get to it after mom's gone, I'll get it back someday.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Great story Wullie, I bet that was neat having that flint quarry right at your finger tips ::tu::
I thought you were going to say when you bent down to pickup the clovis point, you was run over by the cattle. ::dang:: LOL That's cool that the clovis point was able to survive all those cattle feet. ::ds::
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I have been run down in an alley loadin those punks on more than one occasion. ::doh:: Strange part about is that heifers are 10 times as much trouble to mess with as steers. Kind of makes sense when ya think about it. :wink:

The fact that it wasn't broken is really what amazed me too.

That old quarry was pretty neat. The ground was covered with broken bits where they'd knapped off chunks over time. It'd be interesting to dig down and see how deep the broken pieces go.

I imagine you've seen some of those pink lookin points up that way too. Seems they've been found all the way up to the Northwest.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Willie, Great Story as usual! ::tu::
Attachments
Owd Wullie.jpg
Owd Wullie.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 17307 times
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Thanks..

I think. :roll: :mrgreen:
buzzbarton3

Post by buzzbarton3 »

both of my parents are from Oklahoma,but I have never been there.i think that is definitely the place for me to go.you have a great collection congratulations.buzzbarton3
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

A few of my Arrow Heads most are tumbled and broke but still nice to me
Attachments
Arrow Heads 001.JPG
Arrow Heads 003.JPG
Arrow Heads 004.JPG
Arrow Heads 005.JPG
Arrow Heads 006.JPG
Arrow Heads 007.JPG
Arrow Heads 008.JPG
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

kennedy knives wrote:A few of my Arrow Heads most are tumbled and broke but still nice to me
WOW!!! That is a neat collection!!!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

kennedy knives wrote:A few of my Arrow Heads most are tumbled and broke but still nice to me
Gary,

That's a great collection of points. I've seen some similar collections from the upper Savannah River area. It's amazing what can be found around here once you learn where & how to look.
geocash
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

geocash wrote:
Gary,

That's a great collection of points. I've seen some similar collections from the upper Savannah River area. It's amazing what can be found around here once you learn where & how to look.
Thanks most came from the Seneca River & Tugaloo River In SC
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Just wanted to bump this up one year ::shrug::
TPK

Post by TPK »

kennedy knives wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:31 pm Just wanted to bump this up one year ::shrug::
Good idea Gary. ::tu:: I like looking at stuff like this. That's a nice collection you have. ::tu::
Hopefully some more folks will show us what they have found. :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thanks Tom , After all they are the real first Knife ::handshake::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

First picture are a few of the nicer ones that I found in Southern Illinois in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

The second pictures are the famous ceremonial artifacts found at the Olive Branch site in Southern Illinois. I scanned these pictures from an artifact periodical. I believe they were sold for well over 1 million dollars. :shock:
Attachments
My Collage.jpg
Olive Branch Dovetail Front small.jpg
Olive Branch Dovetail Back small.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice Points Ralph ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great finds. ::nod:: ::tu::
TPK

Post by TPK »

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:12 pm Nice Points Ralph ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
::hmm:: You've got a point! :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”