Schrade-Walden Hatchet

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Fisher

Schrade-Walden Hatchet

Post by Fisher »

A friend recently acquired this unusual hatchet. Is a Schrade-Walden and the sheath has worn gold embossed lettering "1984 National Camporama Wis. and Mich. District".

First impression is a Boy Scout purchase, but would appreciate any info and estimate of value.

Apologies for photo quality, but best the phone would do.
Attachments
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
ea42

Re: Schrade-Walden Hatchet

Post by ea42 »

The sheath definitely wasn't original with the hatchet. The hatchets were sold with an accompanying sheath knife, I think the 147, during the Schrade Walden years. The sheath for that setup held both the knife and the hatchet. The Schrade Walden stamp went up to 1973 but I believe the hatchet was discontinued around 1971. Yours is earlier than that though, the hatchet and knife had leather handles from around 1960 to 1964ish. I might be off a year either way. After that they switched to delrin handles on both.

Eric
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Thanks Eric. Interesting to learn there was an original matching knife and sheath, which disappeared then substituted with an equally interesting and repurposed sheath.

One might guess the knife and / or sheath was lost, kids traded items, etc? Often a mystery with older items.

Appreciate the information.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

My pleasure Fisher ::tu::

Here's a pic of the combo from the era your hatchet was made:
Schrade Walden Hatchet - Knife Combo.jpg
Eric
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

The photo is a real plus. What a beautiful set.
catspa

Post by catspa »

That’s a great set, for sure. Sets were popular in the 50s and 60s, and one of my most prized possessions is the Western “shared handle” set that my dad bought the year he moved to Alaska to work on the pipeline. So many memories of hunting/fishing/camping, he always wore them in the leather sheath.

Once in a while I strap them on and wear them around the homestead, just to remember him.

Parker

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”