old Marbles safety hatchet

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
catspa

old Marbles safety hatchet

Post by catspa »

I had occasion to fondle one today, first I’ve ever seen in person. The seller claimed it was over 100 yrs old, and I believe him. It looked old. Had the “three overlapping circles” eye, which looks cool, but might not be too strong.

My impression from pictures was always been that they looked neat. But when I held it, my first thought was “Wow, this thing is really small.”

On second glance it was hung much more closed than I like. Got to give them credit though, the guard functioned perfectly, even after 100 years.

I guess the folding guard idea didn’t really catch on, but it is a historic artifact. Not worth 100 bucks to me, but I bet somebody bought it.

So… any members got one and use it much?

Parker
cody6268

Re: old Marbles safety hatchet

Post by cody6268 »

I have a modern reproduction, and not one of the nicer ones (i.e. AG Russell). I've had it 3 or 4 years, and I think SMKW retired it some time back, but it's still listed, so they may just be out of stock. I paid $30. This one is said to be based on the #3, and it's just under a foot OAL. Weight is listed as 8.8 ounces, but I weighed it on my postal scale and got 24 ounces. So, I guess that weight must just be the head or something?

I wanted an original, but the cheapest I found were $100, and they needed a ton of work. I've paid $5 for old US-made hatchets in that condition.
100_0667.JPG
SMKW said Canada, but I presume it's probably actually Chinese made. Head is 440A (like the knives) stainless steel and not a tough carbon steel, but it has held its edge for light pruning, chopping, and limbing. The small (4 inch by 2 inch) head you're not going to chop down a tree with, but it will do the job. I can stuff this one in my back pocket or the small bag I carry fencing tools in, and not have it weigh me down like the next largest hatchet I own. I have even stuck it in my back pocket when doing yard work.

What I like about the folding guard (note the duct tape--I had forgotten to fold the guard back one time I used it) is that when I'm limbing or doing light chopping, I don't have to deal with a guard or scabbard that I have to take off and risk losing--I've had to go back and look for the guard to my Estwing at least twice. However, due to this updated design, it's plastic, so not as strong. Thus, if you damage the guard, you can't just bend it back straight.
100_0668.JPG
The patterning on the handle is very uncomfortable without gloves, and the guard is not pinned on too great, but it was worth the $30 (however, I'd rather buy a Finnish Fiskars for that price). The Fiskars X7 is not much heavier, but larger enough for heavy use, and comes with a removable guard.

The AG Russell one is designed to stay fairly true to the originals, but the head was redesigned to make it cut better. At $70, it's a little expensive, but I think the design is MUCH better than my SMKW Marbles. Plus, it's got a strong wooden handle and a steel guard, but still manages to weigh eight ounces less.

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell ... e--AG-AXT1
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool, you should post in the Marble's forum too.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I have a couple old ones and a few regular hatchets I've posted before. I paid at least $100 for each of the safety hatchets and was glad to get them for that.____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I started a Marble's Safety Axes thread here-

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 8#p1016888
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I have a #10 camp axe and a # 5 folding axe. When I bought the #10 axe I was glad i had read an article about it. It was covered with black paint. The C.C.C. Corp. bought some of these back in depression days for workers to use building state parks like Geode Park in south east Iowa. Workers were stealing them so they painted them ugly black and the thefts stop. I had a guy clean all the paint off and refinish the handle,looks real good. The #5 was owned by a man that worked at the Marbles factory and when he retired left with the hatchet. It has never been used or cleaned. My book is a reproduction from 1908-9. Tom Maxim, a old,real old knife buddy had the original and had some copy’s made. Very interested and the #10 is not listed.
Attachments
B7D30238-B139-4000-BDDF-28C1F92C1ACC.jpeg
E5489CBC-524B-4B46-AFD6-1094EFC7D68C.jpeg
90252549-6A50-4718-A31C-F823E54AA9EA.jpeg
B2879A9F-DF2D-4526-8E61-F186B93FE1E9.jpeg
catspa

Post by catspa »

Nice pieces Ben, thanks for showing.

Thank you also Cody, and 67rr for starting the other thread.

Parker

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”