Spear point tip

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
1stLssah1

Spear point tip

Post by 1stLssah1 »

Found this the other day, it was found wedged between the bottom side panel in an old military veterans trunk. Looks to me like a spear point. Probably gonna sell it if it's worth something but first I'd like to know if it is infact a spear point. If it's authentic or home made, and or it's origin. Anyone have any idea?
Attachments
IMG_20210706_191613908.jpg
IMG_20210706_191554845.jpg
IMG_20210706_191607961.jpg
rarefish383

Re: Spear point tip

Post by rarefish383 »

We worked for an old Military Officer who had spent a long time in Africa. He had an impressive collection of spears. He had one for elephant, that was a good 5' long. It had a socket that the spear shaft stuck in. The idea was to get the elephant to charge, plant the butt of the spear in the ground, and let it run into the blade. Then the shaft would pull out of the socket and they would follow the elephant till it bled to death.

I'd say yours looks like a real spear head. A lot of those come home with hunters. They are hand forged and look cool, but I don't think they are worth much. But, that's just a guess.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Just looked on ebay. I guess it's one of those things, you have to know what you are looking at. Simple spear heads from 9.99 to real, old, forged ones for several hundred dollars. Good luck, I give it a 10 on the cool factor.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

What is the size? I see a thumb or finger in one of the photos, could it be a arrow head?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Could it be an arrow head?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Years ago I was in East Africa, backpacking around in the north. I met a blacksmith in a small town and I went to his "forge" and I bought a few spears, axes and knives from him. I took some photos and had a local guy take a few pictures of me at the forge. Here is a picture of me next to the forge and the black smith working on an ax head for me. A little kid is working the bellows (two tire inter tubes). The anvil is a piece of railroad track. The spear in my top pictures was made in that forge and has a ridge down it like the spear in the shown in the original posting photos. This is a Maasai Lion Spear (there is a lower iron part -sometimes called the "shoe"- and it is not on the spear in the above photos).

Both spears have a primitives look to them. The spears I have are made with a socket and the shown in the original posting photos has a spike that would be pushed into the shaft. It also looks to be very small compared to other spear heads I have seen in my wanderings. Of course I am no expert, just a guy with a backpack and the bad judgement to buy about 30 lbs. of forged metal that had to be carried around for a few weeks in the middle of nowhere. ::doh:: ::facepalm::
Attachments
DSCF3170.JPG
DSCF3171.JPG
DSCF3172.JPG
DSCF3174.JPG
DSCF3175.JPG

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”