MONSTER SHEARS

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Ridgegrass

MONSTER SHEARS

Post by Ridgegrass »

These were my Great-Uncle George's. (Some of you might remember his miniature tools and anvils.) He was a machinist for the WESTERN MARYLAND RAILWAY. Died at 90 years old in 1980. These shears are massive. Weigh about two pounds and are over a foot long. The castings are very complicated with the thumb and finger cuffs. They are very comfortable and fit the right hand perfectly. I have scoured them for a mark or stamp but can find none. They appear to have been enamel coated and maybe the brand was in the enamel. The pivot rivet is bronze or brass and they cut galvanized sheet like paper. Someone may have dropped them as the thumb cuff is broken. I just thought some of you metal smiths or tool collectors might enjoy seeing them. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3172.jpg
IMG_3175.jpg
IMG_3176.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3180.jpg
cudgee

Re: MONSTER SHEARS

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Fantastic. Post these in the railway enthusiasts thread, they would love to see these with their history. Thanks for posting. ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Those are great! Thanks for sharing them with us.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks guys. Cudgee: Will do. J.O'.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a great old tool that is. ::tu::
Joe
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::handshake:: Thanks for the post! I have several old "R&R" marked tools from various Rail Roads. I don't necessarily collect them... I just love old tools, but getting one from an old Rail Road company makes it extra special to me.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

TOPDOG: Didn't find any RR marks on them but you know how tools seem to "grow legs" sometimes. :roll: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3192.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I found this, "PRR in the Keystone", at a farm auction just over the MD line in PA. I opened the bid at $5 and thought I had it. Just as the auctioneer was pointing at me and getting ready to say sold, an old Amish farmer went $10. I figured I was done, those Amish folk do not loose at auctions. But, I was willing to ride this one out, I've never seen another PRR axe, so I went $15. To my surprise he smiled and waved at the auctioneer, turned and left. To him it was just another axe. Maybe he saw how exited I was about it. Anyway, he let me have it.
Attachments
20190830_092420.jpg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”