I bought a Parker "Butterfly" D/E Safety Razor

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Captain O

I bought a Parker "Butterfly" D/E Safety Razor

Post by Captain O »

The Parker came onto the D/E Safety Razor market in 1973. (The year of my High School Graduation). I bought a 96R "Butterfly" razor 100 inexpensive D/E razor blades @ $.08 each (made in Vietnam). I prefer a double edge razor because I get a better shave and at a lower cost

Here's the razor: "https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2398/ ... 1539215898"

Good stuff, Maynard!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: I bought a Parker "Butterfly" D/E Safety Razor

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool Captain. I don’t have any Parkers, but I too appreciate a DE razor. It’s a much better shave than the modern cartridge type imo, and less razor burn too.

When I don’t use my straight razor, I use an old Gillette Fatboy. Blades are a matter personal taste, but my favorites are the Astra Platinum blades. They don’t cost very much either and give an excellent smooth shave.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Thank you, sir! I learned to shave with a Gillette "El Presidente" (circa 1948). It was gold-plated and father gave it to me when I turned 13 in December of 1968. While a lad of tender years, I remember how he taught me to use a boar-bristle brush and Williams shaving soap. (That was 52 years ago). It still brings tears to my eyes. ::teary_eyes::

Memories, memories!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Well done Sir!!
I, too, am a DE shaver.
Since giving up the cartridge blades, I've gotten closer shaves with a lot less irritation.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Yes, gentlemen. We "senior citizens" have learned that newer isn't always better. What King Camp Gillette created in 1903 to replace the straight razor has only become more complicated and cost more. More blades aren't always an improvement.

Long live the double-edge safety razor! ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m a tender lad of 43. My dad shaved with Bic disposable razors and Williams soap, although his old brush wasn’t boar hair. Several years ago after having tried everything under the sun to keep from getting razor burn under my neck I stumbled onto DE razors and then straight razors.

Newer definitely is not always better.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

My father was a practical man, not one to have the latest and greatest.
He used plain 'ol Bic disposables and Colgate inna can.
When I shaved (been bearded 3+ years or so) I would occasionally try some fancy dodad razor.
I always came back to what was good enough for Dad .. ... ..
Attachments
Bic.jpg
Bic.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The disposable plastic razors seem to cost more than any DE blade usually does. I hate throwing plastic razors in the trash because it seems like a waste of good plastic resources. Once upon a time, motels had "used razor blade" disposal "plates" built into the walls. (They never seemed to get full).

It is easier to dispose of a full DE package (the used blades went in the back of the container) than it is to throw away a "disposable" razor. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::hmm::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a Merkur 23C, cost about $30. I use Feather (made in Japan) Hi-Stainless blades--$27 for a pack of fifty, which lasts me about a year. Vs. $27 for four Gillette these days. And then there was about Gillette's big PC anti "toxic masculinity ad". Big deal for me--I'd stopped buying Gillette for three months before that even happened. The sensitive skin Barbasol is my choice for shaving cream. Classic Barbasol works good too.

Don't give me that crap about "one month of shaves" that Gillette uses in marketing. I don't care if it's the fifty-cent Feather or the $6 Gillette--I get the same life out of both, which is two weeks if I'm lucky.

I really want to try one of the old box cutters they used to make when Gillette first started making D/E blades that used a double-edge razor blade. That would really give the blades more life before I throw them out.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”