The Raven

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Drukai

The Raven

Post by Drukai »

Picked this up last Friday, Black Raven it is a hewing hatchet I believe. The Raven etch logo is really impressive, especially for something produced in the 1930s. Plan is to lightly clean the head and put on a new handle.
Attachments
E3EA4F51-DD91-477C-8232-F0D4462677F1.jpeg
D259ABA3-2C66-429F-838A-A33A3913C10D.jpeg
7C4F5E00-3349-4262-9DE7-10485E1C7D74.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Raven

Post by 1967redrider »

Really cool, I love that stamp. Ever think about going the electrolysis route?

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66224&p=803887&hil ... al#p803887
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Neat old piece there. Lots of detail in that logo. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to see the handle. Top part looks 'neat'.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I love those ornate stampings many very old axes had. It's a lot better than the simple markings on mine.

I'm curious if that's a Kelly Axe and Tool trademark or not. You seem to see a lot of their products around here; they later became True Temper. Nearly all my old axes are Kelly or early True Temper. All my newer ones--Vaughan or Estwing.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

It is from the Kelly line..going to just use fine steel wool and Wd40 to clean it..want to keep that great patina.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Nice one!! I had several Black Ravens, larger felling axes. They are quite collectible, one of mine went for close to a grand in near mint condition. (big felling axe) The design is not an etch it is stamped in while the metal is hot and they are usually referred to as "embossed axes". There were many brands with fantastic stamps and are getting harder to find, Black Raven is not as rare as some but very popular among collectors.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am Nice one!! I had several Black Ravens, larger felling axes. They are quite collectible, one of mine went for close to a grand in near mint condition. (big felling axe) The design is not an etch it is stamped in while the metal is hot and they are usually referred to a "embossed axes". There were many brands with fantastic stamps and are getting harder to find, Black Raven is not as rare as some but very popular among collectors.
Awesome thanks for the info Gunsil really appreciate it. So were these hand forged heads? I have seen an embossed Abe Lincoln double bit which was very neat.

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cody, yes, Black Raven was a Kelly brand. Druk, you're welcome. No, they were not hand forged, they were factory drop forged. Hatchets and axes weren't hand forged since at least the mid 1800s, they learned how to drop forge and make axes faster and better pretty early on in the industrial age. I would stay away from electrolysis, it works good on really rusted relics but not on things as good as condition as yours. There is a guy in SC who does a lot of restoration on embossed axes and he just uses a belt sander and hand sanding to get the pits out and repaints them. You may see some of his on ebay if you look up black raven axes, even if you don't see any of his (he doesn't always have them) you can get a good idea of present value by going to "sold items" on the left toolbar.

I'd leave it alone, looks like a nice example the way it is to me.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Thanks again for the info I am a member in “Axe Junkies” group on Facebook that it’s in great condition and only use the finest steel wool and wd40 if I clean it. After posting the pictures their was told figures on value all over the board 500 to 1200 etc, had a fellow offer 325 as is I pay shipping.kinda want to clean it lightly rehang on a nice handle..see if it grows on me. The Raven embossing is impressive.

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Drukai wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:16 am Picked this up last Friday, Black Raven it is a hewing hatchet I believe. The Raven etch logo is really impressive, especially for something produced in the 1930s. Plan is to lightly clean the head and put on a new handle.
Did you ever post a picture of the axe after cleaning it? How did it turn out?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”