Vintage Scissors-USA-Italy-Taiwan & Germany

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Vintage Scissors-USA-Italy-Taiwan & Germany

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Every now and again I find an old pair of scissors from Germany or Italy and I always end up buying them if the price is "right".... ::suspense::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thought I'd add a couple here. The first one I thought was a tool for SCUBA divers due to the shape of the sheath. After posting here in the Q&A forum I found out they are used to trim buds off marijuana plants! They were only 50 cents so I don't have a huge investment in them. I wonder if I could get busted for possession of drug paraphernalia? :mrgreen:
The second one I have a couple of cheap Chinese versions but these are made by Wiss which seems to be a decent manufacturer.Forget where I got them but I doubt I paid much for them.
Attachments
HydroFarmTitaniumNippers50cents 001.jpg
HydroFarmTitaniumNippers50cents 002.jpg
WissClip 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here is a pair of Italian scissors I left out on the porch ::teary_eyes:: Oops! Time to restore them...in a tub of vinegar.
Attachments
DSCF9729.JPG
DSCF9730.JPG
DSCF9732.JPG
DSCF9793.JPG
DSCF9795.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here they are after about 12 hours on a hot 92 degree day.
Attachments
DSCF9796.JPG

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GSP, are you using just regular 'white' vinegar, full strength ?
And is the 'after 12 hours' picture, brown from the rust removed from the scissors ?
Can you show us what the scissors look like now ?
I have not heard of using vinegar to remove rust.
kj
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:01 am GSP, are you using just regular 'white' vinegar, full strength ?
And is the 'after 12 hours' picture, brown from the rust removed from the scissors ?
Can you show us what the scissors look like now ?
I have not heard of using vinegar to remove rust.
kj
I am using regular 'white' vinegar,(although now that sounds somehow vaguely racist ... ::paranoid:: ) full strength. You can delude it up to about 60-40 (40% water and it will still work), however, I like full strength, if I have enough to cover the item completely (if not the part above in the air will rust where the air meets the vinegar). The brown is from the rust on the scissors and a large 2xbit axe head.

The ax head had already been soaked in vinegar, but it was very old vinegar used many times and it did not clean it very well. It was 92 degrees outside and the vinegar reacts much better in hot weather/higher temperatures new/newer vinegar will start to foam on the top. The contains rust. The foam can be removed from the top of the vinegar with a spatula and when it dries out it leaves a cotton-candy ''puff" of "rust-dust" behind. I am going to post a photo tomorrow if I have time, I am not near the tub right now. I like to let most items soak at least 48 hours.

I don't soak anything with scales typically as the vinegar can damage the scales. I have used a product called EVAPO-RUST®, however it is expensive and "wears out" a lot faster then they claim. I have had good results with it, but generally I don't use it anymore as it only cleans a small amount before losing it's rust removing ability. I have used a bucket of vinegar with some adding of a little fresh vinegar for over 2 years and it stills removes the rust, but won't work on very deep rust as well as new vinegar will.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, thank you GSPTOPDOG. This is very helpful information i can use. I really did not know that vinegar removes rust. We don't get the heat here so can only use this method on sunny days in July & August.
I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' pictures when you have time to post.
kj
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I hope to post some pictures in the next few days. As for the heat.... You can also leave the container indoors however there is a smell...

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

After soaking in the vinegar for 2 days, out come the scissors and after a quick rinse and wipe down then a coating of mineral oil and they are ready to go back into service ::tu::
Attachments
DSCF1061.JPG
DSCF1062.JPG
DSCF1064.JPG
DSCF1086.JPG
DSCF1087.JPG

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Your vinegar treatment did a good job of getting the rust off these scissors. Thanks for showing us.
kj
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:08 am Your vinegar treatment did a good job of getting the rust off these scissors. Thanks for showing us.
kj
You are most certainly welcome!!!

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”