Boker (USA) Sythe intro

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
former173rd

Boker (USA) Sythe intro

Post by former173rd »

Found this this past weekend.....I did not know Boker made these. Is it a common tool? Very good shape
Attachments
IMG_5849.JPG
IMG_5850.JPG
IMG_5851.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Boker (USA) Sythe intro

Post by doglegg »

Former 173rd, that is a cool pick up. Always amazing the things that knife makers names show up on. That is a really cool find. ::tu:: ::nod::
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Hey Dog....you former leg infantry? just a guess (LOL)
Yep never know what you can find at a yard sale! Now, what to do with this beast?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

No Sir, no military service for me. But I respect your service and am appreciative to all the guys on here with military history. I would have probably been a lot more disciplined had I enlisted. Thanks for sharing your Boker. ::nod::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It is a sickle, a much diminuitive version of a scythe, which was a big tall two handled version, for whacking off blades of vegetation, especially grain, before more mechanized machinery became available.
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thanks for the insight. I should have looked it up first!
fitzroe

Post by fitzroe »

It was very common before weed eaters. Still sold on Amazon but I don't think there are any US manufactures.
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

So, probably wallhanger for the time being. Thats OK. Some time, some body would enjoy this...I think...would love contribute to a collector
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Funny how times change. My first real job was mowing lawns for a landscaper in Washington D.C. High end homes with spotless lawns. We carried a pair of hand shears to trim around the flower beds and such. Before that, at home, we still used sickles to trim around fences. Not as neat as the shears, but better than hay for a border. When my parents moved from MD to WV, I was helping Dad clean out his barn. I must have found a dozen sickles. I asked him what to do with them? He said throw them on the scrap pile. So, I threw them on the burn pile first to burn off the handles, then in the scrap bin they went. Probably part of a Prius now. Thank goodness I liked axes back then or they would have gotten the same treatment. To Dad they were just old, outdated tools that he didn't want. Somehow I did manage to keep two sickles and they are hanging on the wall of my shed, Joe.
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thanks for sharing the story....funny how some things bring back memories from times past. I'd put this on a wall too, except I'm running out of space!

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”