Made in Sweden Hults Bruk axe

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Made in Sweden Hults Bruk axe

Post by TripleF »

Picked this up at an estate sale Thursday.....I've come across a couple in the past, but this one is staying with 3F ::nod:: ::tu::

The handle is gouged near the haft but still solid. Thinking if I might add something to it to prevent possible breakage on next miss?
Attachments
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
mountainad82

Re: Made in Sweden Hults Bruk axe

Post by mountainad82 »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. There is plenty of life left in that one.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Scott: I bet you could turn that one into a real keeper. Sharpen up that blade and add a new handle, it would be good as new. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

XX Case XX wrote:Scott: I bet you could turn that one into a real keeper. Sharpen up that blade and add a new handle, it would be good as new. ::tu::

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

TripleF wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:Scott: I bet you could turn that one into a real keeper. Sharpen up that blade and add a new handle, it would be good as new. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

TripleF wrote:Picked this up at an estate sale Thursday.....I've come across a couple in the past, but this one is staying with 3F ::nod:: ::tu::

The handle is gouged near the haft but still solid. Thinking if I might add something to it to prevent possible breakage on next miss?

Nice axe, Scott. When I was a teen I had to split a lot of firewood. When I had messed up an axe handle like yours is messed up, I cut a strip of tin two or three inches wide and long enough to wrap around the handle. Then I drilled a couple of holes in each end and used a small bolt to clinch the tin around the handle below the head. That did not look elegant but it did keep more wood from being smashed out of the damaged area.
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Dinadan wrote:
TripleF wrote:Picked this up at an estate sale Thursday.....I've come across a couple in the past, but this one is staying with 3F ::nod:: ::tu::

Nice axe, Scott. When I was a teen I had to split a lot of firewood. When I had messed up an axe handle like yours is messed up, I cut a strip of tin two or three inches wide and long enough to wrap around the handle. Then I drilled a couple of holes in each end and used a small bolt to clinch the tin around the handle below the head. That did not look elegant but it did keep more wood from being smashed out of the damaged area.

Thanks Mel!! I like it. Then I could wrap some paracord over that, huh?
SCOTT

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Paracord would certainly look better, anyway. That was not a concern for me back then (50 years ago). We heated our home with firewood and axes were tools that my dad and I used a lot in the fall and winter to split firewood. Seems like winters were colder back then, but if I had to cut and split my own firewood today I might not think that. Anyway, I made more than one axe handle look like yours when I was a teenager and I came up with the tin wrap to keep from having to replace the handles.
Mel

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”