I just ordered a United Defense Adjustable Self Defense Cane...

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I just ordered a United Defense Adjustable Self Defense Cane...

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Ahh, Got it. Back in the day of inkwell & nibs the term was "reduce" to common denominator if i am recalling 5th grade correctly. Now i learn one must be rational in the reduction. Hmm.
kj
I think the term comes more from the root word "ratio" as opposed to "rational" in the other definition.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

This cane is better than I had hoped. The one-piece construction makes it solid as a rock. While it is a self-defense cane, it's value as a "walking aid" should not be underestimated. It won't break, warp, peel, chip, fade, crack or blister. It can serve many purposes and well worth the money.

Go to BudK and look it over. You'll be glad you did.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Captain O wrote:This cane is better than I had hoped. The one-piece construction makes it solid as a rock. While it is a self-defense cane, it's value as a "walking aid" should not be underestimated. It won't break, warp, peel, chip, fade, crack or blister. It can serve many purposes and well worth the money.

Go to BudK and look it over. You'll be glad you did.
I think I'd just as druther walk over to the wall and grab one of these. And if one of those doesn't suit me, there's more under the bed.
Attachments
0412171828-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Captain O, I went over to the BUDK site and checked out your United cane. It is definitely the current preferred style for self-defense canes, but at a much more reasonable price than many others I've seen. A very good value. Congrats.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

jerryd, Nice selection. I have only a couple. Fortunately, I don't need a cane but sometimes use one to negotiate over some uneven ground nearby.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Nice selection, Jerry. What I like about the United Defense Cane is that it won't deteriorate or rot. It may dent, but in a self-defense situation, that's about it. I'm also looking at Cold Steel's self-defense "walking stick". It had an aluminum knob on the end and can be shortened from 37" to 34" inches so that I can take it when I'm "putting on the ritz". :wink:
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Captain O wrote:Nice selection, Jerry. What I like about the United Defense Cane is that it won't deteriorate or rot. It may dent, but in a self-defense situation, that's about it. I'm also looking at Cold Steel's self-defense "walking stick". It had an aluminum knob on the end and can be shortened from 37" to 34" inches so that I can take it when I'm "putting on the ritz". :wink:
Captain O, I think it's great that you think about self protection as with the cane you purchased and self-defense. I read the entire thread, I may have not soaked up every single word but I captured the important things, and I saw the videos (yours and the youtube one provided by deo-pa) on cane techniques as well. I studied Aikijujutsu for many years, touched on just about all the weaponry old and new, and leaned towards the most practical rather than what was traditional or most popular with instructors and students alike, as students will usually go with the personal favorites of their instructor(s). I'm a certified instructor in this ancient art form designed for real life as well. It's a very well rounded art beyond anyone's imagination. Not like your present type newer arts that are mainly for sport and/or competition. Most of which are bits a pieces of Aikijujutsu. The cane you purchased - if used as the youtube video shows - is not the best most practical way for a cane.

A cane, actually, would not be my weapon of choice but so be it. The best way to use a cane in self defense is to hold it with both hands at all time when in close range situations - as with the youtube video - to apply quick strikes or maneuvers as with a redirecting technique. Consider that what you strike with you are also giving that part of your cane to your attacker. The attacker - unlike in the youtube video - will use the other hand as well, thus, the video is not true to real life confrontations. A strong stance and good grip with both hands is the best way to block & strike. Unless the opponent is at a distance and aggressively approaching. You can strike with either end of the cane - with one hand or two but at the risk of losing that end to the attacker - and block mostly with the mid area but ends can used as well for upper strikes and kicks.

Consider your attacker will probably want to grab the cane from you at all times. If he grabs one end and you have both hands on your cane a quick small circle rotating the cane's end over the back of his hand with the looping movement to the outside over his picky finger is the best way to weaken his grip and will put him at a disadvantage followed by a quick but strong poking strike that will break the grip free or snap his wrist - before he knows he no longer has control of the cane - do damage to that part of his body at the same time. Hopefully you'll hit a sweet spot - mid section, ribs, etc., if that is what he is giving you by opening up.

Teaching someone Aikijujutsu techniques online is not the way to go to begin with, however, do not overestimate the cane's ability to be a viable weapon. And never underestimate your opponent no matter his size. Good luck and if you have any questions do not hesitate to message me. ::tu::
jerryd6818 wrote:I think I'd just as druther walk over to the wall and grab one of these. And if one of those doesn't suit me, there's more under the bed.
JerryD, I like the canes. :lol: Especially the ones with no hook handles for self defense. If I had to pick one I would select the taller one in the middle or the one over the next with the white tip/handle, if sturdy enough. However, if I had to choose a stick, any stick, I would go with an old tapered axe handle over a knife, Bo or Jo. ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to understand the 2 handed maneuver to break the grip of someone who has grabbed the end of your cane. Is there an online video that shows this correctly ?
And, who are "Bo and jo" ?
kj
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

kootenay joe wrote:I would like to understand the 2 handed maneuver to break the grip of someone who has grabbed the end of your cane. Is there an online video that shows this correctly ?
And, who are "Bo and jo" ?
kj
Kj, I looked for a youtube video on that particular techique called "nikkyo" with a bo or jo, but could not find one last night. To answer your question on who bo and jo is - they are not persons but staffs. :D A bo is 6ft to just under in length and a jo is 4ft to about 52" long. The same techniques that can be applied by hand can usually be applied with a weapon as any weapon is just an extension of ourselves. Also, in Aikijujutsu most all techniques that are apllied in the standing position can be applied while sitting and even while lying down and the attacker on top.

The video here https://youtu.be/wQLNqPqFyTY is nikkyo by use of open hand Aikijujutsu, but the same principle is applied with a bo, jo or cane or even a knife or 4" stick. A cane being a bit more complex as most come with a hooked handle. With one such long weapon the foot maneuver is a little different than in this video because of the extension of the weapon at hand. Thus, we must move in closer to our opponent.

For example, lets say you strike the attacker with the bottom end of your cane (overhead or to the mid section in a straight in poking motion) and he right hand grabs that end. (This can work with the opponent using two hands as well but one must step in to the side of the opponent's leading hand to wrist lock or break the grip with your whole body strength vs his hand & arms alone) You step in with your left foot into a strong side stance slightly outside to his right, (or to his left if his leading hand is his left in a double handed grab) with your cane centered to you for full body strength vs his one handed off balance cane hold.

You either overlap your hand with his like in the video (this is called mirroring) for a lock and/or break of his wrist or without your hand mirroring his you simply do a small circle crank (as if cranking on an old model-T but with a smaller circle) just enough to get the cane or staff just over his wrist as with the video but without overlapping his hand for a lock. This motion will make his grip a weak one, most still thinking they have a good grip. Once there lean in quickly and strike in with the bottom end of cane with both hands and full body strength.

The objective in Aikijujutsu is to end an attack in one move, or in one continuous move to another with multiple attackers. Hope this was clear enough. If not let me know and I will try to find a video with an actual staff and the nikkyo application.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Felix, Thanks !
Wow, the 'Master' in the linked to video is so good, so smooth and fast ! I cannot make out exactly how he does the wrist lock. I need someone to demonstrate in person.
This style of defense fascinates me but it is too late for me to partake. I have severe spinal stenosis and am loosing function in my legs and arms so my movements are weak and slow. But i enjoyed watching this man's consummate skill.
kj
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

kootenay joe wrote:Felix, Thanks !
Wow, the 'Master' in the linked to video is so good, so smooth and fast ! I cannot make out exactly how he does the wrist lock. I need someone to demonstrate in person.
This style of defense fascinates me but it is too late for me to partake. I have severe spinal stenosis and am loosing function in my legs and arms so my movements are weak and slow. But i enjoyed watching this man's consummate skill.
kj
Kj, he simply rolled his hand over to grab his wrist and pressed downward. Pinky finger leads the way. :) Here's one (at the very beginning only) where the attacker is grabbing his wrist & forearm. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEV2uID4YKA The instructor applies nikkyo with his sword handle. Same concept if he were to grab the sword handle itself, or cane, stick, etc., simply loop the weapon over his hand and press down on his wrist. But since the opponent's hand is not trapped he can let go. (In this video he doesn't for demonstration purposes & many times b/c they just don't realize what's going on) This is why I say to apply the technique and quickly (before he's aware that if he lets go he's free) strike by first moving in with your left foot (if it's his right hand/wrist you are applying the tech to) to stand closer & sideways to him in a horse stance (as if riding a horse) to then loop the weapon over, press down and strike straight in to his mid section with full force. In this video it's a close quarters attack so no need to step in much. With the cane strike at a distance the foot work and stance would be more beneficial as one must always remain centered with oneself, his weapon, his opponent & one's point of attack. In your situation it would be you, of course, your cane, his wrist and mid section. Thus, when you strike you will have a strong strike based on your stance & distance from your target.

As you now know, it takes much description to explain one simple technique to someone new to Aikijujutsu. As with this single or double grab (the latter hand being of no consequence). There are countless techniques to use with any given situation, many of them deadly, but those are for black belt levels only. It's actually beneficial that he used both hands but not necessary as the other hand will always be out of commission by the pain applied to the wrist and your stance away from it. All in all Aikijujutsu is the most well rounded art form I've ever seen and I've seen them all in one form or another. Aikijujutsu is the father of Aikido, jujutsu, judo, karate and many others. Then later came further watered down versions like BJJ, MMA & others keep popping up. None of which have new techniques to add. and all are incomplete art forms - bits & pieces of self-defense mostly designed for sport or competition. While many others removed many techniques & strategies and called themselves founders of new art forms. Really? ::uc::

Anyway, hope you caught the technique from this last video.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

These videos do show the wrist hold/lock quite well. It is the total effectiveness of this self defense discipline that so fascinates me. No tools or weapons are needed to take down an attacker. One just needs to know where and how to apply pressure. We all could benefit from this training.
kj

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”