L&N hatchet

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Ribbit

L&N hatchet

Post by Ribbit »

I found this at an antique store. I would call it a broad hatchet. It is marked "L&N" and that's all I see.
I've done the internet research and have come up with nothing.
Any ideas/information would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
Stakeknife

Re: L&N hatchet

Post by Stakeknife »

That's the hatchet they used to chop off the turkeys head at the first Thanksgiving. ::tu::
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Louisville and Nashville Rail Road? but it should have the R.R.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

mrwatch wrote:Louisville and Nashville Rail Road? but it should have the R.R.
Maybe not. I have an old WIlliams alligator wrench with Norfolk and Western property markings, and all that's on it is "N&W".
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote:
mrwatch wrote:Louisville and Nashville Rail Road? but it should have the R.R.
Maybe not. I have an old WIlliams alligator wrench with Norfolk and Western property markings, and all that's on it is "N&W".
Here is a N&W wrench my nephew gave me awhile back.He lived in Ashtabula Ohio at the time and found it at a garage sale many years ago. Supposedly used to switch tracks manually. The background is 1" squares to give an idea of it's size.
Attachments
N&SWrench 001.jpg
N&SWrench 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

You guys are making this more and more confusing.....but I'm enjoying it!
I cannot believe that among the plethora of knowledge on AAPK...there is not one single, knowledgeable hatchet person who cannot tell me what the L&N means?????
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

while you may not find out who made it the + plus side is if it is rail road, a lot of people collect "prototype artifacts". meaning it is worth more money wise to a rail road collector especially if if a local company from their area or a one out of business. Same for padlocks, hand lanterns and switch lamps.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

There is no way to know for sure what the letters mean other than they were placed there by whoever owned it, not the manufacturer. It's not uncommon.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm in the LNRR boat myself--broad axes like this are typically used more for forming logs, not felling. I suppose it was used for shaping railroad ties.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”