Anyone Into Kraut Making?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone Into Kraut Making?

Post by 1967redrider »

Thought I post some pictures of making kraut at the farm when I visited last month. First you need to round up some crockpots, then a couple dozen heads of cabbage, salt, a Keen Kutter Kraut Kutter and a kraut tamper. Then the fun begins! ::super_happy:: It took us about 3 hours to fill all the crocks, it should be ready around Thanksgiving after spending about 4 months in the cellar. Could really go for some right now on a hotdog with some good German mustard. ::clapping::
Attachments
WP_20150719_001.jpg
WP_20150719_002.jpg
WP_20150719_004.jpg
WP_20150719_003.jpg
WP_20150719_005.jpg
V__1D6B.jpg
V__AC97.jpg
V__8DCD.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Anyone Into Kraut Making?

Post by Colonel26 »

Oh man! I love homemade kraut. Looks great.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
junebug

Post by junebug »

HATE THE STUFF....... ESPECIALLY ON A GOOD OL MUSTARD DOG ::super_happy::
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm MUSTARD DOGS ::drool::

BUT SO COOL TA SEE MADE ,BRO!!!
THANKS FER PIX!!!!
BET IT WAS FUN TA BE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS ::groove::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here one if the most sublime pleasures in life is white beans, cornbread, fried taters and kraut! Throw some wieners in that kraut or some country style ribs in the side mmmmmm. Best stuff you ever lapped a lip over.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks guys, it is fun doing things like they were traditionally done. Not sure why that one picture posted upside down. ::shrug::

Yeah, easier to pick up a bag of kraut at the grocery store but what if there weren't grocery stores to rely on? It seems as civilization progresses there is a bunch of knowledge that is getting lost in the process. We are becoming consumers and not manufacturers, which could come back to bite us one day. Just my 2 cents.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

I think the exchange rate on that 2 cents is going to be very good for you.

We pickled corn in crocks and also pickled and dried green beans.You could go in Mamaw's cellar,take the lid off a crock and get an ear of pickled corn.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

wlf wrote:I think the exchange rate on that 2 cents is going to be very good for you.

We pickled corn in crocks and also pickled and dried green beans.You could go in Mamaw's cellar,take the lid off a crock and get an ear of pickled corn.

Those dried green beans, is that what was called leather britches beans? I've heard they were mighty fine.
Robert E. Lee
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Everybody where I grew up made kraut the whole town was Chez-Slov-Pol's those people made lots of wine in that area too----
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”