Bluegrass Machete

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
michaelspayth

Bluegrass Machete

Post by michaelspayth »

Probably my favorite machete in my collection. Have researched quite a bit and, so far, have only been able to find a store ad from 1940 that featured one similar.
Attachments
20190916_090929.jpg
20190916_091044.jpg
20190916_085316.jpg
XX Case XX

Re: Bluegrass Machete

Post by XX Case XX »

Bluegrass c.1898-1985. A trademark used by Belknap Hardware. Don't know what the "M" stands for. ::shrug::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

I think it's "Hardware & Manufacturing Co"
Have never seen another machete of theirs though.
Classicform

Post by Classicform »

Was just gifted this and found your thread. Thought I would join and add to it.
Was a friend of mines Grandfathers. Said he used it in the tobacco fields in Kentucky.
IMG_9533.JPG
IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9535.JPG
IMG_9536.JPG
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great looking tools fellers, and a local connection here in KY to boot. Bluegrass was a store brand for Belknap Hardware.

I’m sure they are called different things in different places, but around here we’d call those corn knives. Folks here used them for cutting corn stalks so they could bundle them in sheaves and shocks.
Classicform wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:29 am Was just gifted this and found your thread. Thought I would join and add to it.
Was a friend of mines Grandfathers. Said he used it in the tobacco fields in Kentucky.
IMG_9533.JPG
IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9535.JPG
IMG_9536.JPG
This is what we called a tobacco knife in my part of Kentucky. In the picture there’s the knife and a spike. The spike was placed on the end of the tobacco stick and the stalk of tobacco was speared onto the stick for hanging in the barn to dry and cure.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”