Help ID a little ole hatchet

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
former173rd

Help ID a little ole hatchet

Post by former173rd »

Picked this up some time ago and couldn't find anything on it..thought I'd try again!
Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg
rarefish383

Re: Help ID a little ole hatchet

Post by rarefish383 »

Boy, that's a rough one, I'm getting nothing also. Is the first letter a P. Looks like P Mayer MKR.
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Yep, I pulled it out and sure looks like "P" Mayer. Old and seemingly frail, but nice steel. If it was homemade, he knew his work!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I don't know anything about the maker but I'd like to see the hatchet in full view.
I like old tools. Show us the hatchet.
Joe
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

And ya didn't even hafta say please!
Attachments
IMG_3363.jpg
IMG_3364.jpg
IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3370.jpg
IMG_3379.jpg
Froe

Post by Froe »

I believe this thin, light pattern is called a 'lath hatchet'. For splitting and hammering on the lath before plastering. But I'm no expert.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I should have shown better form in my post.
Thank you for showing the hatchet anyway.

It sure is little but it has a beautifully made head in my opinion.
I think you have a real treasure there.

I see Froe has responded and I think he has a good description of the hatchet.
Early lath came in thin wide slabs and it was applied by tacking the top and splitting down an inch or so and pulling that and tacking that and splitting the opposite side and pulling that and tacking that and so on. A small hatchet like this one would have been used.
Joe
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thanks! A neat historical piece, maybe.... ::ds:: ::ds::
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Couple of thoughts.....Why the long poll? The head has no serrations. No nail pulling notch.
These may be insignificant, but don't most other lath hatchet/hammers differ from this one?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, as to your questions, I cannot give you definite reasons because I don't really know the answers and I know you are not asking me specificly, however, I do have an opinion on what I think are good reasons assuming this is a lath hammer.
As to the long poll; it offered you some reach. It gave you some definition as to where the face would impact. Also, it gave you reach in what might be a tight work place. Using a hammer is a acquired skill and all hammers are different. It is not unusual at all to find long polls on small early hammers.
As to the crosshatch on the face, it simply isn't necessary. The cross hatch was used on larger framing hammers to keep the face of the hammer from slipping off the nail :roll: and to identify greenhorns who used them for trim work as they were not at all willing to buy a second hammer for more refined work because that would put too large of a dent in the budwizer budget. A clean hammer face will go a long way in preventing slippage. Perhaps a bit of sandpaper.
I'll go out on a limb here and call the nail notch in a lath hammer a gimmick and a handle sellers dream come true.
Real tradesmen overcame lots of obstacles with their tools or reached for other tools.
And real tradesmen had lots of tools and knew how to use every one of them.
Yes, the tools do differ but that doesn't mean they got better. Just a lot more expensive.
And then came chinese trash that I can't discuss here. ::not_saying::
Here is a picture of early small hammers.
Also a picture of a Poloroid picture I took of split lath in my old house.
Attachments
DSCN5703.JPG
DSCN5705.JPG
DSCN5706.JPG
Joe
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thans for sharing Joe. Guess thats true in a lot of specialized trades back in the day. BTW, the notch I was referring to would be under the blade, for removal of nails. If i were a collector, your stuff would sure be interesting. Now that I'm able to post, maybe I'll see if there is any interest in it.
Thanks again for your time and knowledge. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

former173rd wrote: BTW, the notch I was referring to would be under the blade, for removal of nails.
Yes, there is one on my old Hibbard. Although not a very good one. :)

You're welcome. Others may have a more accurate point of view.
Attachments
DSCN5713.JPG
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm certainly no expert, but it's been my impression that the nail pulling notch is more commonly found on shingle hatchets. Used for splitting, fitting and nailing wood shingles.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thats my impression also...guess it doens't mean its not a lath hammer though. It's really nothing special i suppose, except if it is a little different. just can't get over the maker Logo! One proud maker!
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

We called the one in FRJs last pic a framing axe. It has a flat profile across the top so you can swing it in tight overhead spaces.
Bruce
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

ADDED Note:
The blade is very slightly canted .. don't know if the pictures show it.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Froe wrote:I believe this thin, light pattern is called a 'lath hatchet'. For splitting and hammering on the lath before plastering. But I'm no expert.
I think you got it. I have a small hatchet that the blade comes out rectangular all the way. Not as long of a poll, but it is cross hatched. I couldn't find anything on it. One day a friend came over and said, "nice drywall hatchet". Did a search and that's what came up. Mine is different enough that I didn't think they were the same, use wise, till you pointed it out. Good eye, Joe.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”