old beer bottle/can openers

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: old beer bottle/can openers

Post by doglegg »

Ripster wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:56 pm Morning folks , just read this this topic. Reminded me of the Tavern here in town from the past. As Gramps told it the Dutchman’s was a rough place ,it was down by the Confluence of the Chippewa River and Eau Claire River. Very tough area in its day ,saw mills ,livery Stables, blacksmith shops and red light district. He also said Dutch wouldn’t allow polish or Irish in the joint, would actually pull a shotgun and tell them to leave ,that they’re on “the wrong side of the RR track” .And Gramps would know ,he was full blooded Dutch and Grams ,she was German, and they both where very judgmental.
Great story Ripster, and that bottle opener is sure with some wonderful company there. I especially like the short line. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I remembered I also had this one, a Colonial
Colonial opener.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

glennbad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:54 pm I remembered I also had this one, a Colonial

Colonial opener.JPG
Hey Glenn b , never knew Colonial made those, another interesting and new to me thing. What handle material did they use?
Thanks
JP
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Ripster wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm
glennbad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:54 pm I remembered I also had this one, a Colonial

Colonial opener.JPG
Hey Glenn b , never knew Colonial made those, another interesting and new to me thing. What handle material did they use?
Thanks
Just some kind of plastic/comp, nothing special. I found this in an antique store, and although I don't really collect openers, I couldn't pass up the knife company connection.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Glenn ,thanks for getting back on that handle material. It’s a cool opener , have a good one
JP
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

glennbad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:27 am I realize this is a 10 year old thread, but I wanted to add these. They came from my father-in-law, I found them while clearing out his house a while back.

bottle openers.jpg
Good stuff there, I don't think any of those ever made it to the Midwest, but I remember seeing Ballantines and Knickerbocker signs on old pictures of the NY ballparks. ::tu::

Good story on the Dutchman's, Ripster. ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

These have only been in my family and they have seen plenty of usage. They are all mine now. Represented and pictured below are the following beers and breweries. Not in any particular order. Acme Brewing Company, Ballantine, Falstaff, Hamm's, Jacob Ruppert Brewery, Knickerbocker, Olympia, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schaefer, Schlitz and Utica Club. These are all from the 1960's, possibly the 1950's, maybe to the early 1970's. 🍻
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

Sorry to not have a pic yet but I have a Griswald bottle opener. Its a female figure about 4-5 inches long in brass or maybe bronze.I found it online from very early 1900s
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a few that are a bit different in that they are basically for opening champagne bottles but will also do the occasional bottle and can. The "Silver Spray Beer" opener came as part of a 1920's era sign painter's kit I bought many years ago.The German model is unique in that it has a folding can opener as is the Bonsa knife.
Attachments
BarKnifeB&G1.JPG
BarKnifeCapitanoFranmara1.JPG
BarKnifeE-EFrance1.JPG
BarKnifeGes.Gesch.1.JPG
BonsaBarKnife-1.JPG
BarKnifeGolf1.JPG
BarKnifeMartini&Rossi1.JPG
BarKnifeUnmarked1.JPG
KnivesWithCorkscrews2017 025.jpg
SilverSprayBeerOpener..JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
eveled

Post by eveled »

FRJ wrote: Fri May 21, 2010 1:20 pm Well guys, here's one you don't have. I have long wanted to make my own cap lifter and searched for an appropriate vehicle to fashion one from. Being a collector of old tools I came across this old turn screw which long ago was kneveled by someone. I don't think the blade and handle were original. All the more reason to bastardize it into something else. I would'nt ruin an honest old tool. And you know, this darn thing works!!

Joe
kneveled? I didn’t do it.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

:D
eveled, you went back into the weeds, didn't you.
Joe

Return to “In The Kitchen”