Nutmeg grater?

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Nutmeg grater?

Post by Reverand »

Not my picture, nor my tool: but my wife saw this posted on a Facebook group, asking if anyone knew what this folding tool is. Some guessed that it is a grater or rasp used in the kitchen for making powdered nutmeg, but I wanted to see of anyone here knew for sure.
Attachments
209529B2-FEF3-42E6-AD97-5E4360794C70.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Nutmeg grater?

Post by deo-pa »

You’re probably correct Rev, though it could also be what’s called a “snuff rasp.” Used to grind tobacco leaves into a fine powder to make snuff. The photo below is from the New York Historical Society and they label it as either a nutmeg grater or snuff rasp. I happen to think it is the latter because I suspect that small spoon on the end is how you sniffed the powder.

Dennis
Attachments
0119A44C-D4CC-46AE-9158-2A2EE169F5E9.jpeg
robertstokes

Re: Nutmeg grater?

Post by robertstokes »

deo-pa wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:00 am You’re probably correct Rev, though it could also be what’s called a “snuff rasp.” Used to grind tobacco leaves into a fine powder to make snuff. The photo below is from the New York Historical Society and they label it as either a nutmeg grater or snuff rasp. I happen to think it is the latter because I suspect that small spoon on the end is how you sniffed the powder.

Dennis
I also agree with you. Me and a friend of mine also accidentally found this picture and found it different from what Reverand was looking for information.
getaway shootout
Attachments
e39fac00eb42508307d72ad4ce43d620--rasp-coat-of-arms.jpg

Return to “In The Kitchen”