Sabatier-style chef’s knife type preferences

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
stumpstalker

Sabatier-style chef’s knife type preferences

Post by stumpstalker »

For sabatier-style, forged, chef’s knife collector-users, there are two major and historically-successive post-19th century styles.

There is the pre-WW I style, which is light in weight for a given blade length; one could say, “lithe”; and there is the later heavier style. (Proponents of the heavier style might say, “authoritative”.)

I know one collector-user who dismisses the modern style as too clumsy to bother with, in spite of the fact that the graceful, ebony handles of the earlier type are prone to splitting. With the hefty type, in contrast, it is almost as if the manufacturers went to a design that was a cross between a cleaver and a classic sabatier.

Below are photos of two Sabatier-brand knives, one modern and the other antique-style. The same heft dichotomy exists with all the major, quality, sabatier-style knife manufacturers, whether they be of Sheffield, Thiers or New England.

Assuming both are forged, and in carbon steel, which style do you prefer for using, light or heavy?

Please focus your comments on the use of Sabatier-style (“Western Civilization”) chef’s knives for this thread, not cleavers or exotic chef’s.
sabatier.antique.jpg
sabatier.modern.jpg
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Sabatier-style chef’s knife type preferences

Post by zed6309 »

I picked up 3 last year similar to the one in the top pic, beautiful knives ::tu:: I sold them to a chef who loves sabatier ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

zed6309:

Those are lucky finds. One can comb through a lot of thrift shops, and pore over heaps of stainless steel modern chef's knives looking for a vintage sabatier-style. I asked one shop-keeper why that was so, and she said, "Oh, people keep those ones to use". Exactly.

I have a beautiful one, Leon Jaeggi-brand, Sheffield-made in the pre- WW I style, that a previous owner had etched his name on the blade of, for identification. If knives could speak.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Of course this style is the ultimate prep knife. I call them my food processors.

I have several of this style which I rotate in a long span of time.

I really like these Dexter knives. The 489 series.
These are 10, 12 and 14 inch knives with the elegant tapered tang.

I also have a nice Case at 10 inches.

Also included are a pair of French knives with famous Nogent style handle.
Attachments
DSCN7217.JPG
DSCN7221.JPG
DSCN7224.JPG
DSCN7227.JPG
DSCN7244.JPG
DSCN7229.JPG
DSCN7233.JPG
10 & 12 inch knives
10 & 12 inch knives
DSCN7242.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

However, the knives I am using now are two larger Dexter knives (10 & 12 inch) and a beautiful 8 inch Robeson.
The 12 Dexter has a very fine tip that makes it a great slicer and the one I use the most.
The 10 inch has a bit of flex but has a much stiffer blade. I'm good with that.
That little 8 inch Robeson is extremely thin and a real pleasure to use when cutting onions and shallots or whatever.
Attachments
DSCN7248.JPG
DSCN7250.JPG
DSCN7253.JPG
DSCN7258.JPG
DSCN7262.JPG
DSCN7263.JPG
DSCN7266.JPG
Joe
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

My Mum was a Chef and although she had a right mix of Brands in the family home, she swore by Sabatier, maybe as she was Cordon Bleu Trained ??

I recall when I was a teenager that she had a a full roll of the Sabatier Chefs knives which I was not allowed to touch and have since learn't they are the Carbon Steel made ones from France.

Moving on some 10 years later when I was 25 years old I finally left home for good and had a freind who worked at a Commercial Catering Suppliers........you might see where this is going ??

He asked me what I would like as a moving in Present to my new Flat (Appartment) so I replied a set of Sabatier Knives........

I still have then to this day, the only difference Between my Mums and mine are that mine are Stainless and to be honest will last countless life times.

Buy nice or buy twice as my Dad says.

Here is a Picture of then 25 years old now.

Cheers ya'll

JT
Attachments
Sabatier stamp.jpg
Sabatiers 1.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

JonTerry:

I am glad to hear that you esteem highly your stainless genuine Sabatier knives, as did your mother her carbon steel set.

Here are a couple of photos of the Leon Jaeggi Sabatier-style, "Nogent" period of handle design, chef's knife I spoke of in my post above two years ago.

It has been a prized possession of mine, and it evidently was for a previous owner, as he stipple-punched his initials into the wooden handle and etched his first initial and last name onto the blade.

It has a 10-1/2-inch blade, and presumably ordered (not manufactured) by Leon Jaeggi & Sons, Ltd. after 1919 as that is the founding date denoted on the website of that catering supplies firm with a presence in London.

Not caught by the photos is a fine stamp on the blade: Leon Jaeggi/ Villageois/29 Dean St W.1 [London].
Attachments
jaeggi.pile.etch.edit.jpg
jaeggi.full.lenght.mark.jpg
jaeggi.mark.handle.edit.jpg
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

That is a perfect example of how these knives will last from generation to generation !!!

I have used other knives in other peoples homes and just don't like them, I've used Sabatier for so long now that anything else feels wrong in my hands.

Your knife makes my set look brand new ..........but I guess thats a credit to them seeing they are quarter of a century old, and just about broke in ::tu:

:
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body

Return to “In The Kitchen”