Village Blacksmith

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Village Blacksmith

Post by carrmillus »

...I have a monster butcher knife that was given to my dad during WW2 by a local butcher friend of his. I found it in the early '70's in the back of his shop under a pile of rotting leaves. handle was completely gone, I made a new one out of oak and it took weeks to get all the rust off, and weeks to sharpen it, but it is now restored and you could shave with it!!...it is marked VILLAGE BLACKSMITH-1927...I have never seen another knife with this mark??.............. ::tu:: ..............
tongueriver

Re: Village Blacksmith

Post by tongueriver »

They were sold in hardware stores, I think.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... acat=43322
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

carrmillus wrote:...I have a monster butcher knife that was given to my dad during WW2 by a local butcher friend of his. I found it in the early '70's in the back of his shop under a pile of rotting leaves. handle was completely gone, I made a new one out of oak and it took weeks to get all the rust off, and weeks to sharpen it, but it is now restored and you could shave with it!!...it is marked VILLAGE BLACKSMITH-1927...I have never seen another knife with this mark??.............. ::tu:: ..............
I could be wrong, but I believe that these knives were made by Woodworth Knife Works in Nunda, New York.

http://www.nundahistory.org/woodworth.html
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Greenman wrote:
carrmillus wrote:...I have a monster butcher knife that was given to my dad during WW2 by a local butcher friend of his. I found it in the early '70's in the back of his shop under a pile of rotting leaves. handle was completely gone, I made a new one out of oak and it took weeks to get all the rust off, and weeks to sharpen it, but it is now restored and you could shave with it!!...it is marked VILLAGE BLACKSMITH-1927...I have never seen another knife with this mark??.............. ::tu:: ..............
I could be wrong, but I believe that these knives were made by Woodworth Knife Works in Nunda, New York.

http://www.nundahistory.org/woodworth.html
....thanks!!!........mine is WAY bigger than any of these!!.............. ::tu:: ....................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....mine is 17" long, blade is 11", and it weighs over a pound!!........... ::tu:: ................
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Late on this one. Levine says they were made by WASHINGTON CUTLERY, in Watertown, Milwaukee,WI. They made VILLAGE BLACKSMITH cutlery and CUTGUD pocketknives. 1898-1940, Some question as to whether they were manufacturers or wholesalers or both.
This one is 14', full=tang. The handle is stamped: "711 VILLAGE BLACKSMITH" over "HOLLOW GROUND".(Couldn't get a clear pic; it's kind of worn off.) Really nice, razor edge. Good roast beef and ham slicer. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Found this yesterday at a local gun show in Easton, MD. I think there was some question as to the origins or location of Village Blacksmith Knives . This should clear it up. Posted in 1935. Love this kind of stuff, really "completes" a knife. Think I'll put the knife and the envelope on a plaque and display it. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice knife ephemera, O.J'! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks RED. The bright colors are amazing for 86 years old. Must have been in a drawer. J.O'.
catspa

Post by catspa »

Nice paper, never seen that one before.

I have what I believe started out as a VB 5-6” skinner or butcher knife from the WWI era. Half the width has been sharpened away, so now it’s a kinda backswept boning shape. The unique thing is, it has a bent nickel silver “bolster protector” on each side angled down onto the wood handle, held by two rivets. Never seen another like it.

Takes a crazy sharp edge though, I can see why it got used so much.

Parker
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a Village Blacksmith “safe-queen”, that is, a "dead-mint" steak scimitar, with cardboard sleeve; 12-inch glaze-finish blade.

Given the post-1940 electro-etch on the blade and printed artwork and fonts of the sleeve, I am guessing late 1950s or early 1960s.

Not the kind of pristine knife that is going to set off a stampede at the tables or a bidding war online, but nevertheless a survivor of the begs-to-be-used food preparation genre.
Attachments
village.blacksmith.steak.scimeter.12-inch.bl.jpg
village.balcksmith.steak.scimeter.handle..jpg
village.blacksmith.steak.scimeter.etch.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knife. ::tu::
Joe
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

That's a nice knife. According to Levine they've been gone since 1940. He rates them "H" for high value. I use mine all the time. ::tu:: J.O'
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

stumpstalker wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:16 am Here is a Village Blacksmith “safe-queen”, that is, a "dead-mint" steak scimitar, with cardboard sleeve; 12-inch glaze-finish blade.

Given the post-1940 electro-etch on the blade and printed artwork and fonts of the sleeve, I am guessing late 1950s or early 1960s.

Not the kind of pristine knife that is going to set off a stampede at the tables or a bidding war online, but nevertheless a survivor of the begs-to-be-used food preparation genre.
I collect Village Blacksmith when I can find it. I love the old carbon steel blades and "made in the USA" craftsmanship. A very nice piece! ::tu:: ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “In The Kitchen”