A Vintage Landers Frary Clark

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Vintage Landers Frary Clark

Post by Mossdancer »

A stamp I think that may be an over or double of the at sign. Please let me know if you know it or have any hints as to age. I can imagine it hanging on a nail on and old cooks wagon or on the wall behind an old butchers counter. OAL is 13 inches with an 8 inch full tang blade. It was made to last with the 6 rivets.
moss
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PS: There are no other marks to be found on blade or handle
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
tongueriver

Re: A Vintage Landers Frary Clark

Post by tongueriver »

I don't know answers to your specific questions, but this leads me to a related one which might also shed light on your knife. At some point the manufacturers of butcher knives stopped using these smaller pins and went to the larger compression rivets; does anyone know a time frame for that transition?
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

I have looked for the answer to that to no avail. I do have a book on history of the Russell Green River knives. When I find it I will see if it mentions it. Should you get the time and interest read the caption under the photo on page 342 of LG 4. How do you decipher his later knives remark.
moss
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Another nice one, Moss.

And I thought my LFC knives were old. Yours appears to be noticeably older.
Attachments
DSCN9820.JPG
DSCN9824.JPG
DSCN9826.JPG
DSCN9830.JPG
Joe
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Start of Aetna.
Landers, Frary & Clark
AMERICANS KEPT HOUSE WITH LANDERS, FRARY AND CLARK.
Before his company was incorporated as Landers, Frary & Clark in 1862, George M. Landers had been doing business in New Britain for over 20 years. In 1842 Dewey and Landers was established to manufacture metal products such as furniture casters, coat and hat hooks and other items out of brass; in 1852 with a change of partnership the business was organized in 1853 as a stock company known as Landers and Smith Manufacturing. In 1862, with the purchase of the Meriden business of Frary & Carey, James D. Frary joined the firm and the company was incorporated at Landers, Frary & Clark. 1866 saw the addition of cutlery manufacturing when LF&C instituted the Aetna Works.
I guess that is when it all started, Do you ever wonder what the Civil War has or had to do with the joining and buying of companies,
that could be an entire new research project.
moss
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

FRJ wrote:Another nice one, Moss. And I thought my LFC knives were old. Yours appears to be noticeably older.
Not so sure about that!
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

tongueriver
after a bit more looking I agree with you. early to late 90's on mine. The Aetna works were from what I can locate the oldest of the ones shown.
mosss
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

from the web,

teke
03-03-2013, 06:05 AM
LANDERS FRARY & CLARK (1865-1965), New Brittain, Connecticut.
By 1903, the company became the largest cutlery company in the world, as well as the first manufacturer of small electrical appliances.
From 1914 to 1930, produced and pocket knives.
The company made knives under a lot of brands. It is worth noted first class kitchen / butcher knives labeled «Double Shear Steel» and «Grand Prize / St.Louis 1904» «Universal»
The company was bought and destroyed in 1965 by General Electric
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

tongueriver wrote:I don't know answers to your specific questions, but this leads me to a related one which might also shed light on your knife. At some point the manufacturers of butcher knives stopped using these smaller pins and went to the larger compression rivets; does anyone know a time frame for that transition?
From what i have found in my limited searching a patent was granted in 1965 for a compression type cutlery rivet. Though it seems they should be older than that?
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Somehow I have gotten it into my head that this butcher was a GI contract in WWII (not to be confused with WW11, which I see sometimes :lol: ) and it has the large rivets.
Ontario 2.jpg
Ontario 7.jpg
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Cal:
Really well marked with the
U S and the date, It would go well in a shadow box with a military collection, Nice to have that as date documentation(made at least into 1941) for the type of guard it has.
moss
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

tongueriver wrote:Somehow I have gotten it into my head that this butcher was a GI contract in WWII (not to be confused with WW11, which I see sometimes :lol: ) and it has the large rivets.
Ontario 2.jpgOntario 7.jpg
Interesting, I always thought compression rivets ran back at least into the 50's . Just to be sure they are compression rivets? I see them sometimes that is a single sided stud rivet and a washer on the other side, I'm sure that form of rivet predates the compression type we are used to seeing on most "modern" butchers and kitchen knives.

Cool to see the poured pewter guard on a knife dated that late also ::tu::

I wish I could locate an older patent for the compression type but as of yet I have been unsuccessful.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Champagne-n-Beer

Post by Champagne-n-Beer »

Old thread I know, but thought I would share some info I recently read regarding the question in hand...

Cutlery rivets were patended in the 1890's and three large rivets started becoming more popular from then forward, but still pinned handles where used in these large type butcher knives into the early 20th century, depending on maker.

Similarly, iron pins vs brass pins can help date as iron pins were used in the 18th and early 19th century whereas brass pins started showing up later...

Got much of this info from a couple sites on the history of "fur trading" knives - happy to link those sites if that is allowed?

Return to “In The Kitchen”