An American Cutlery Company Table knife

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An American Cutlery Company Table knife

Post by Mossdancer »

This knife is Marked with an illuminated lamp with 1865 in the lens. I doubt that it was manufactured during the civil war which was 1861-1865. Somewhere I have seen a history of this Company that production was started in 1867. How do those who purvey knives with this marking rationalize saying it is from the civil war. If they mention it is of the era does that make their allusion correct? How would you describe this item? With the embellishment present I do believe it is from the 1867 to maybe the 1890 time frame. What do you think? I do plan on selling it I just need your expertise with the description?
moss
PICT0043.JPG
PICT0044.JPG
PICT0045.JPG
PICT0046.JPG
PICT0047.JPG
PICT0042.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
FRJ

Re: An American Cutlery Company Table knife

Post by FRJ »

I had a Henry Sears box with similar markings. "American" cutlery and date "1865".
Attachments
DSCN6234.JPG
Joe
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Who could have guessed this? We may have some commerce in our future. The item below is a bit over 11.5 inches. Will it fit in your box?
moss
PICT0001 (2).JPG
PICT0003 (2).JPG
Attachments
PICT0003.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Henry Sears & Sons 1865 was a trademark of Farwell Ozmun Kirk company and one will find table, pocket, and hunting knives with their mark. They did not make any knives, they contracted for them. This mark was used circa 1878-1959 according to Levine. Some of their knives were made in the USA, some in Prussia. There are hunting knives with their mark made by Union Cut/KA-BAR.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's quit the kitchen knife you have there, Moss. Some one did some very creative rivet work on it.

I gave my box to Thomaston Historical Society. Since Thomaston, Conn. was on the box. Wish I knew more about their presence there
if indeed they were there. More vague knife history.

I didn't know Henry Sears & Son contracted their knives. Thank you for that, Gunsil.
Joe
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

I have surmised they may be from Prussia. Same imagination dictates they, the blades may have been purchased in bulk sometime in last part of 19th century as trade knives. They were then installed in old used handles or new ones as the case would dictate and then traded to trappers or others. The blades being the hardiest part of the knife may have been used more than once or twice. Could be an explanation for rivets. Did you notice how the guard covers part of the marking
and also has a rivet holding it together. The big birds eyes are really cool, the one closest to the tang actually has an original iron rivet setting the eye. the back one is brass. It is a neat old knife.
I believe the knife was originally assembled with no guard and the two iron rivets, the handle at blade end was broken or cracked(who knows maybe it was broke or cracked during a scalping, or hammering a fence steeple) and rebuilt to current profile. So darn many knives to get rid of and
only a few years to do it.
moss
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Moss, your knife was made in Prussia, says so right on the blade. It is all original, was likely not assembled from old trade knife blades as you surmise, many Prussian kitchen/butcher knives of the same era as yours have very similar construction in blade, front bolster or guard, handle style, and rivet type.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

As I read the knife it appears that there have been additional rivets of a different type added after the original build of the knife. I think it can be attributed to the object being in hand.
moss

Return to “In The Kitchen”