Cattaraugus cake knife

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
mrwatch

Cattaraugus cake knife

Post by mrwatch »

just received this from the Bay. Looks like almost unused? Age please? The teeth look pretty aggressive for a cake knife. seller pictures.
Thanks, Bob

Vintage Cattaraugus cake knife 13 1/2 inches long in excellent condition with original paper blade cover.
Attachments
cattaraugus.jpg
cat 3.jpg
cat 2.jpg
cat4.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Cattaraugus cake knife

Post by knife7knut »

Does it say cake knife on the sleeve? It looks more like a knife designed to cut through frozen meat. I have a couple early cake and bread knives and they have a fairly large scalloped edge rather than teeth.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Now that's a really interesting blade! It's different than a conventional Cattaraugus frozen food knife, shown here: https://www.terapeak.com/worth/3a-sharp ... 615006143/

The edge of the blade alternates between thick regions and thin regions so as k7k says maybe it's for a specialized frozen food task, such as cutting large slabs of meat. I can see where maybe the thick sections create a kerf and the thin sections slice down through the kerf...???

Dennis
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Could be a bread knife. Cattaraugus was very involved in kitchen cutlery in the lost 20 or so years of their business. Their pocket and hunting knife production numbers went down as they brought more and more kitchen knives of this type into production. By one account this was the beginning of the end. There production numbers overall were consistent at first but profits shrank as a result. I would guess this knife could have been made post WWII up until 1963 when they went out of business.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

the sleeve does not state the purpose says "fine quality products since 1876."
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have several kitchen knives that feature a regular edge on one side and a saw back on the other which were specifically designed for cutting through frozen meats or other food. I also have a couple that feature an edge very similar to the one originally posted although there are no teeth on them. I can't imagine trying to successfully sharpen one with such an edge. Here are a few examples along with a couple of bread & cake knives. The edge difference is very pronounced.
Attachments
Bixby1.jpg
BuffaloKnife1.jpg
CLYDEDG ClydeCutlery Co.ClydeOhio8inchCarver-.50 001.jpg
KitchenKnives 012.jpg
RHForschnerVictorinox1105W-5  .50 001.jpg
ClaussBreadKnife 001.jpg
KitchenKnives 001.jpg
KitchenKnives 003.jpg
UnmarkedSawbackKnife 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “In The Kitchen”