the,"Squirrel Cracker"

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
knife7knut

the,"Squirrel Cracker"

Post by knife7knut »

Found this little gem over the weekend at a(where else?)yard sale. Patented May 13th 1913 and still works as advertised.Mounted on a table edge you lift the handle straight up to slide it up and down and fit the nut into the jaws.Pressure on the jaws causes the ratchet mechanism to engage and pushing down on the handle cracks the nut.
For $5 I wasn't about to let it sit on the table any longer.
Attachments
WaldertGroceryCoTylerTexas-Chicago-SquirrelCracker-5 001.jpg
WaldertGroceryCoTylerTexas-Chicago-SquirrelCracker-5 002.jpg
WaldertGroceryCoTylerTexas-Chicago-SquirrelCracker-5 004.jpg
WaldertGroceryCoTylerTexas-Chicago-SquirrelCracker-5 006.jpg
WaldertGroceryCoTylerTexas-Chicago-SquirrelCracker-5 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: the,"Squirrel Cracker"

Post by djknife13 »

Interesting. Mine must be a newer version and it's made or sold out of Miami. The other ones just sort of showed up in my office which means I don't really remember where I got them. I'm sure I picked them up while looking for knives and wasn't having any luck. Great deal for $5. ____Dave
Attachments
nutcrackers 001.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

djknife13 wrote:Interesting. Mine must be a newer version and it's made or sold out of Miami. The other ones just sort of showed up in my office which means I don't really remember where I got them. I'm sure I picked them up while looking for knives and wasn't having any luck. Great deal for $5. ____Dave
Great accumulation Dave! I have a squirrel nut cracker that I'll have to dig out and post a pic of.His tail is the handle and the nut goes between his jaws.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Fantastic guys. Those are very nice. Time for a black walnut lie or some hickory nut candy!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

It's almost (buy not quite) embarrassing to mention all the mini-collections that are sitting around my office /collection/toy room, mostly collected from antique shops, rummage sales and auctions while searching for knives along with all the stuff I've hung on to since I was a young kid that I was keeping to put in my office some day, and I actually managed to do that. I've shown pictures on AAPK before and even had an article published in Knife World about this "collection" of stuff. It sure has been a ride though. My Grandkids love this room and the stories and just hanging here. Life is good. ___Dave

Return to “In The Kitchen”