Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
MUD

Re: Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

Post by MUD »

IMG_20160912_183728782.jpg
IMG_20160912_183746816.jpg
IMG_20160912_183757268.jpg
IMG_20160912_183844700.jpg
The Round Table c.1950.
It ain't mint, but it's mine. And it will be used.
Not much on kitchen knives, but Gerber Goodies is Gerber Goodies!! They're 10 years older thane and in a lot better shape.
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice set Primus. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives there, Primus.
A pretty desirable set I would imagine.
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here are some I don't use. That big cleaver is thirty two inches long. One of the bread knives was built in the 1850s. Sheffield, of course.
IMG_2395.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Got this set of six steak knives marked MAC Japan today for $8. Wood scales and a really comfortable feel. My wife wants to use these in lieu of my stag handled ones.
Attachments
MACJapansteakknives2016-8 001.jpg
MACJapansteakknives2016-8 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

K7K: Another terrific catch. Somewhere in Japan the odds are somebody must make poor knives. I just never encounter them. From kitchen cutlery on to pocket knives and then swords the Japanese seem to me to be especially gifted in the arts of blade making.

Tongueriver: Though I am best kept out of the kitchen I do love the older slicers: Very simple i.e. wooden handles and carbon steel blades. Don't have any as old as yours, just well used blades from the likes of Chicago Cutlery, Ontario etc. They evidently keep their efficiency for generations when treated right.
Fatman280

Post by Fatman280 »

My favorite kitchen knife I own is a vintage I. Wilson Shear Steel knife. The sharpest knife in my kitchen.
Attachments
20161025_162720.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice butcher knife, Fatman. Looks to be a fairly old Sheffield.
Do you use a chef knife in your kitchen too?

And welcome here.
Joe
Fatman280

Post by Fatman280 »

I use the Sheffield knife mostly, but have cheapo Wal-Mart chef and paring knives
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice old Robeson kitchen knife I picked up at a flea market on Sunday. Beautifully designed I think. Tapered tang, handsome bolster and a very thin tip on the blade. Ebony scales with three small pins. 13" over all and a 8" blade.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN3445.JPG
DSCN3447.JPG
DSCN3450.JPG
DSCN3452.JPG
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

There is a heck of a lot of character in that old knife. Some real thought went into its design. ::tu:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Quick Steel.
I think it's pretty neat. ::tu::
Love the brand and I'm so glad it wound up in my kitchen drawer. ::super_happy::
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I like that Robeson a lot! ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, tongueriver.
I need to sharpen it and start using it.
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are my three newest kitchen knives.I bought them at an antique shop I frequent but haven't been to in awhile.They were just putting these out for sale and I grabbed one of each. I was tempted to buy them all but I'm trying to slow down a bit.There were about a half dozen of each of these and they were $2 each.
Attachments
EdWusthofParingKnife 001.jpg
JAHenckelsParingKnife 001.jpg
JAHenckelsParingKnife 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those are nice knives. ::tu::
Especially for two bucks each. ::woot::
Joe
ekhawman

Post by ekhawman »

I am needing some help with value on these Gerber knives.
Attachments
20170318_204335_HDR.jpg
ekhawman

Post by ekhawman »

Another pic
Attachments
20170318_202747_HDR.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That's quite a nice set ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

I have all kinds of knives in the kitchen some fancy, professional ect but these are the ones that get used the most in the kitchen around here,

Oh them are just some Old Hickories that you find on evey street corner you say, Au contraire Capitain. The top two are a matching pair of 10" and 12" inch in a hard to find and no longer made Simitar pattern, Breaking knives design that follows the contour of your cutting stroke for less fatigue, or so they say. Tough to find these in this condition without bellies in the blade as they went to work, The next are 8" and 10" inch chef's knife pattern also no longer made. Mushrooms, bell peppers and onions tremble at the mere sight of them. Handy handy.
All of them except the large breaker are stamped Shapleigh Hammer Forged 1843. Some are stamped 1843-1934. I doubt if that means they were made then. Its probably when Shapleigh's Hardware started and sold to Ontario Knife, the current makers. These were the old famous Keen Cutter and Diamond edge knife and tool guys. They used to be the largest hardware in the U.S. W of the Mississippi selling guns, knives, woodwork and farm tools ect. Not sure when that hardware went out of business but I just though I would put together a set of like kinds, ALL have 1095 steel, not the hardest stuff in the world but will get as sharp or sharper than the best tool steels around, scary edged or what 1095 is most famous for, And it don't take half the day to tune one up which is nice for daily use.

All of them will slice ham so thin your In-Laws will never come back. ::woot::

The steak knives are a set of Laguiole's made in France with olive wood handles. We bought these things 20 years ago and still look and work like the day they were made and they get used constantly. Can't be beat for the price.

And the last 3 I had to include because they are the reigning KIngs as far as getting used the most in our kitchen, My danged old common Rapala/Martinii Finland fillet knives, Noting fancy, just the handiest dang things in the kitchen that every one a;ways reaches for, I finally gave up and donated them to the cause and got me another set for my fish duties.

These are my knives that get used the most in the kitchen,
Attachments
DSCF0312.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cowdiddly, a very nice and interesting collection. Thanks for sharing them.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

A recent find for the kitchen. Have been wondering where this designer got off to.
moss
Sorry about the close up I got a bad shadow from my lights. This thing is scary sharp. He must have brought that with him from Kershaw.
Attachments
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285428
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285428
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285429
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285429
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285430
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285430
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

Got a couple more Old Hicks this morning with the Shapleigh's stamps that match my others, Two I did not have yet and in unbelievable like new condition. I don't think they had been sharpened until now. A 7" butcher and a 5 1/4 slicer.
Now if I could find a good 10 or 12 bull nose in nice shape I think I will have them all. Not sure though. I don't know what they actually made style wise then.
The older I get the better I like these cheap old good uns. I think maybe the old grand pappies were on to something. I'm having more fun looking at flea markets and playing around in the kitchen knife piles than looking for my missing pocketknives at the moment.
I heard the the newest ones don't have the Old Hickory stamps on the handle any more or blade stamps, just etching. You have got to be kidding me. executive decision I am sure. And, Ontario is now making a few of their knives International now. Why do I get the feeling that another old iconic brand that was probably in almost everyones drawer hidden somewhere in the back is fixing go to the dogs? Sad really watching this all the time to Boker, Puma, Buck Shrade, Chicago Cutlery, and many many others. I would rather have an 10 dollar cheapo made here than a 200 dollar White Hunter made in Bangladesh. But I'm funny like that.
I think this might be the reason for the resurgence in interest of the3 old stuff and why a lot of millenials seem to be interested in the older stuff more and more. You just don't know what you can trust brand wise anymore. You just have to buy it and see and hope. Here you know what you got. A 10 dollar tough little knife that will get beaucoup sharp and outlast you.
Attachments
DSCF0315.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives, Cowdiddly.
I had no idea there was a Old Hickory/Shapleigh connection.
I posted most of my kitchen knives on page 1.
Joe
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

FRJ that has to be the penultimate collection of kitchen knives I have seen anywhere,

Give me some ideas on old ones with good steel to look for. I noticed a lot of Sabatior, Are they any good steel wise? I have see a few around but the blades on the ones I looked at were kinda twisted a little or kinked, plus I know nothing about them.
I also seen you mention 498 Dexters as good steel. Is this a carbon or SS.
Mind if I pick your mind as you are the hands down experienced expert on kitchen stuff as I see it. ::tu:: Im probably walking over the good uns. ::shrug::
I only know butcher knives from butchering game and farm animals on a ranch. ie. Wilson, Dick, LFC, Foster and Nichol bros ect. And, the only reason I know them is by competing in meat smoking and BBQ events and looking at stuff other guys have.
I have been extremely lucky in life and had some of THE BEST southern cooks in existence from my Grandmothers, Mom and Wife keeping me feed through life in some kind of grand style. All of them could flat rattle them pans. I'm talking multi course layouts 2-3 times a day. I guess I never looked except what I see at brisket cookoffs which is the extent of my knowledge. But I;m really just getting into it more as I get older.

Return to “In The Kitchen”