Old Family Butcher Knives

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Family Butcher Knives

Post by jerryd6818 »

The shorter of the two belonged to my maternal grandfather. The initials stand for William Thorton Stokes. He was born in 1886. He had a stroke in about 1952 which effected his mind until he died in 1962.

The longer one belonged to my folks. If I had all the hogs those two knives have butchered, I'd have to open a meat packing plant.

There are no maker marks on either one of these knives. They're just old butcher knives that are part of a lot of memories for me.
Attachments
DSC03682.JPG
DSC03683.JPG
DSC03684.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Re: Old Family Butcher Knives

Post by FRJ »

Great old family knives, Jerry. It's nice to see them.
Joe
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Nice old knives Jerry ::tu::

Here's and old sharpener and butcher knife passed down through the family to me. My dad who is 65 has memories of his grandparents and parents using the knife to do everything from de-heading yard chickens and butchering meat to trimming limbs in the yard. The knife is a little over 15 inches and sharpens to a scary razor edge. I use the steel to touch up everything from the kitchen to the pocket. Neither have a makers mark remaining if they ever had one at all. They are rock solid and will still be around long after I am gone.
Attachments
001.JPG
003.JPG
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nothing like Family history though a set of kitchen knives.
Keep Near the Cross.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful thread! I grew up on Pa and Grandma's farm. Thanksgiving day was always hog killing day. I grew up eating out of the smokehouse (as a matter of fact I have the old smokehouse although it does need some attention).

Here's the knife that Pa used to cut the hog's throat and that grandma used to trim ham meat in the kitchen.

Also, here is the tool Pa made to squeeze out the cracklings when he made lard. He'd put the rendered cracklings in a clean feed sack and squeeze them with this. I propped it up on one of his old milk cans.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice X pattern on the knife.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “In The Kitchen”