Three for Tank: Camillus #9511

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
coffeecup

Three for Tank: Camillus #9511

Post by coffeecup »

It is time for our annual auction for Tank. Mostly, this is to remind him we haven't forgotten about him, but the extra funds for the holiday season won't hurt! If you don't know who he is, take a few moments to check out his member profile; he's a neat guy with some neat knives. We appreciate his posts, and miss him when he can't post. If you don't know about his situation, take a look at this thread: http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... hilit=tank

Auction starts now, runs til 9 PM Central on Saturday 5 December 2015. All proceeds go to Tank, shipping (in the US) is already covered. (If you're outside the US, drop me a note and we'll figure something out.) When the auction is complete, I'll notify the winner. As usual, Philco is going to handle getting the funds to Tank, so he will contact the winner to arrange payment. As soon as Phil tells me he has the funds and I have the buyer's mailing address, I'll send the knife out USPS Priority.

First up is a Camillus #9511. These are variously called "Red Cross knives" or "spoon knives"; the reason for that is a long story. . . .

The story goes that in 1917, at a fund raiser, the head of the American Red Cross asked a general what kind of pocketknife to include in the gift packs being prepared for the soldiers in France. The general replied to the effect that it wasn't necessary, as all soldiers were being issued a knife and spoon. The gentleman from the Red Cross (variously described as "hard of hearing" or "half-deaf") understood the general to say "a knife with a spoon." The source of the story is usually cited as American Cutler magazine.

The design was developed in 1917, for distribution in the 1917 Christmas packages for soldiers (and sailors, according to some accounts). There seems to be no evidence that they were produced for anyone other than the Red Cross, or after the Red Cross orders were filled. Production may have continued into 1918 to finish contracts, but no evidence of this has been found. This is one of those rare knives that can be dated quite tightly, and (aside from government contracts) for whom the original contractor is known.

Total production seems to have ranged between 500,000-1,000,000 but may have reached 2,000,000. At least 500,000 were produced (Camillus made about 100,000 of this total): contemporary documents mention this number as having been produced but more orders may have been outstanding. One million is the commonly-mentioned production figure, but the original plan was to make two million. One million were intended for US troops (and possibly sailors), and the second million for our loyal allies, the Russian army. Makers included Camillus, Ulster, Holley, Union Cutlery, and possibly others.

Now that the history is covered, let's look at the knife! Overall length is a bit more than 4 3/8", with steel liners, pins, and bolsters. The blade is a big honkin' spear, with swedges on both sides, and that lovely 4-line Camillus stamp (unfortunately, it also has a couple of small nicks on the edge, and the very tip is broken off). Covers appear to be rosewood. As was so often done, the spoon was cut off, but the stub and spring remain.

As always, click on the small pictures to see larger versions.

Another Knife Collector

Re: Three for Tank: Camillus #9511

Post by Another Knife Collector »

I'll get this one going at $15
-Phil
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

$20
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

$25.00
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I apologize for the delay in posting this, I was detained away from the keyboard. Orvet won this one; I'll have a PM off to him shortly.

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”