Any info on KA-BAR 1002 differences?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cstricklen

Any info on KA-BAR 1002 differences?

Post by cstricklen »

A couple years ago, I got interested in collecting the KA-BAR wood-handled series from the late 70s--especially the 1002 liner-lock and the 1004 trapper. Recently, I came across a 1002 that is different from the others I have. It is longer and slightly narrower, has handles of a darker wood, less refined hafting and thinner liners. The blade is fully 5/8" longer and slightly more graceful.

I don't know what the wood is, but the "normal" knives have a maple-like color of varying shades. The "different" knife is much darker, like maybe rosewood.

The tang-stamp on the "normal" one is KA-BAR over 1002 U.S.A. The "different" one is the same except the stamp is a little cleaner and it has no periods after the letters USA. It is definitely less common than the "normal" 1002. It seems older, but, to me, it is less well-made. I'm not a KA-BAR expert, but from the tang-stamps, I believe neither is made before the Cole era, but both are before the Kabar "script" logo.

Anybody familiar with the timing of these changes, or have any other knowledge of these knives?

Here is the "different" knife beside a typical 1002.

Misn4med

Re: Any info on KA-BAR 1002 differences?

Post by Misn4med »

I can't find any more about this. I have one of the different ones and am curious to know if is worth anything more than the others. It's a great knife and I don't know that I would sell it I would just like to know if anybody knows anything about it.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”