Advice wanted

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
RickN

Advice wanted

Post by RickN »

Hello,
I have a beautiful case 10 dot 5392 stock knife that has a very lazy main blade.
This knife has never been used or carried and must have left the factory this way.
My question is... Is there anything I can do to restore good snap without effecting its condition or value?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Advice wanted

Post by C-WADE7 »

I’m sure somebody else will chime in with better advice but I would recommend lubricating the joints of the blade first with a quality oil and exercising the blade a few times and see if it helps. I have a newer stockman with a weak spring(always been that way) and that too could be the case for yours.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I would contact Case repair and ask if they can fix it. https://caseknives.com/pages/warranty-repair You don’t say which “10 dots” version you have but I’m guessing you mean 1970, which means the 92 pattern tooling may have changed since it was made. So I’d contact them first to see if they can repair it as they may no longer have parts for it. Never hurts to ask. They do excellent work if they can fix it. Send pictures of the knife with the completed repair request, so they can determine what you have.

Be sure to specify you want that particular knife repaired and not a warranty replacement. To them a knife is a knife, not necessarily a collectable. If you don’t specify it has “sentimental value” they might just send you a new knife in its place.

Welcome to AAPK.

Krn
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Your could also try flushing the well on that end of the knife by holding it in running water for awhile. Then flush the water out with WD-40 and then oil the joint again with lube and work it several times. If that doesn’t work, then checking with Case is your only hope.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Rick! ::handshake::
You've received excellent advise from knifers with years of knowledge and experience behind them, if I were you I'd take it, those guys know!
8)
8)
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

RickN wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:53 pm My question is... Is there anything I can do to restore good snap without effecting its condition or value?
The advice you received is good ... if restoring the snap is the goal. If the knife left the factory with no snap to restore, then nothing you can do is going to help. I do have a couple of Case knives that just never had any snap.
Mel
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

If the back spring rises and falls as the blade is opened and closed the snap can likely be restored with very little trouble. If the spring doesn’t move then it would require more extensive work to repair and all the lubrication in the world won’t help. Can you tell us if the spring moves as it should when opening and closing the blade?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”