Kinfolks Authorized Reproduction Question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DMLEATH

Kinfolks Authorized Reproduction Question

Post by DMLEATH »

I have this knife that does not have a country where it was made but says authorized reproduction. Researching it on here it sounds like it may have been made in Germany. Any info on this would be much appreciated
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Kinfolks Authorized Reproduction Question

Post by Gunsil »

Well, since Kinfolks was sold to Robeson in 1956 and Robeson went under in the early 1960s, who authorized it? Kinfolks never used a bomb shield with their name on it and actually made few folding knives, their main business was fixed blades. Sounds like something Parker would have had made up. I don't think Kinfolks made a knife like that so authorized reproduction should say authorized fantasy knife.
robpa

Post by robpa »

I have a few of these knives and they are good quality. Parker Family had them made in several names including kinfolk, Platts and a few others. I believe them to be queen made. so does Knifeaholic who posts here and who i buoght them from. Tehy certainly look a lot like my other Queens. Parker did own Bulldog and for awhile I thiought they may have been made there, Olbertz, but I am more inclined to say they are Queen.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Definitely Parker here is a list and the book he put out to start Case Family Brands
Tennessee River Valley Knife Association ,Inc.
Attachments
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Thanks for that info! It does feel like a well made knife.
robpa

Post by robpa »

I found some notes, cant find the Parker book where he tells more of the story. Here are most of the names in this series.
Kane Cutlery
Case Bros.
C. platts & son
there is another Platts stamp also
Case mfg.
Little valley
JD Case
Standard
Crandall
W.Russell Case
there are a couple more.
Parker bought Case and when he was forced into bankruptcy he retained these names. he sold them back to case a bit later. These are legit knives mostly made by Queen, not all were. Some probably made in germany. Its also how he ended up with the Case Classics brand of which most were made at Queen, 3 models were made at Case in bradford. His goal was to produce knives of the highest quality for collectors. Ilwill grab every one I can locate.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:53 pm Definitely Parker here is a list and the book he put out to start Case Family Brands
Gary I've not saw that book before. Does it have an ISBN # and copyright page inside where you can search for it online? Or was it just a short printing and sold at knife shows?
Carl B.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent reference book to have. How did Marble's get in there?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Rookie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm
kennedy knives wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:53 pm Definitely Parker here is a list and the book he put out to start Case Family Brands
Gary I've not saw that book before. Does it have an ISBN # and copyright page inside where you can search for it online? Or was it just a short printing and sold at knife shows?
Rookie it was a insert with the Case Classic book That Jim Parker Put out on the Case Classic best of the long haul ::handshake::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:41 pm Excellent reference book to have. How did Marble's get in there?
Looks like Parker owned Marble before Dave Shirley Bought them Most of Parkers Marbles were made in Japan or Germany
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

kennedy knives wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:37 pm
Rookie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm
Rookie it was a insert with the Case Classic book That Jim Parker Put out on the Case Classic best of the long haul ::handshake::
I see, thanks Gary!
Carl B.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kennedy knives wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:41 pm Excellent reference book to have. How did Marble's get in there?
Looks like Parker owned Marble before Dave Shirley Bought them Most of Parkers Marbles were made in Japan or Germany

If anyone has any German or Japanese Marble's I'd love to see them. Start a new thread in the Marble's forum. :wink: Maybe call it, Marble's Knives Not Made in USA or China?

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:39 pm
kennedy knives wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm

If anyone has any German or Japanese Marble's I'd love to see them. Start a new thread in the Marble's forum. :wink: Maybe call it, Marble's Knives Not Made in USA or China?
Look in my store under Marbles item # 65570 is one which has been sold and I have had a number of them. In the picture on top is some of the first one's parker offered. The Whittler was made in Germany. Don't know how to transfer my listing here
Attachments
IMG_2761.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Oh I gotcha, thanks kk.

DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Thanks for all that information!
robpa

Post by robpa »

I ffound my "pocket Knife traders Guide" vol 2 1994 edition by Jim Parker.
Golden Age Cutlery Classics is what these are called. They are reproductions of antique brands and patterns.All knives were made 100-200 pieces.Hand made with pinned on handles and shields, forged blades in Solingen Totally hand made Included brands are Honk Falls, Northfield Marbles. The Marbles are whittlers and congess. I dont remember why I felt some were made at Queen. Still lookin for more notes.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wonder how you get folding pocket knife “reproductions of antique brands and patterns” of a company that made fixed blade knives?

“The Marbles are whittlers and congess”, which I don’t think Marbles ever made either. ::shrug::

Parker. SMH. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
robpa

Post by robpa »

Marbles pocket Knives 1902-1908
"Most historians believe that their knives were actually produced by w r case & sons. in fact in early marbles catalogs knives listed are actually wr case knives".

He doesnt say a thing about fixed blade/folding knife differences. he does allude to WR CASE bBradford, Germany authorized reproductions. Parker was a knife nut not a writer/editor and he offers bits and pieces here and there. I dont know what I think of the man personally but I certainly appreciate the things he did for knife collecting.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Parker used the Marbles name without permission and got his hands smacked for it.
It was Case Brothers,not W.R. Case that made some folders for Marbles.Only real ones I've seen were toenails.Most you see are counterfeit.
Roger
robpa

Post by robpa »

That is why I like this place. much to sort out, lots to learn. Its easy for some one relativly new at this game to get a little addled. Pretty much why I tend to stick with Queen made knives. I know several people who worked at Queen who are big time help. I stay away from Case, older ones because they confuse me and new ones are not up to snuff. I appreciate the knowledge here. I am develpoing an interest in GEC.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have learned that it's always better to do your research before buying, especially with older knives that are on the pricey side. ::nod::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”