Why would this happen?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Why would this happen?

Post by tvic »

Why would the dark coloring be missing from this tang stamp?
Attachments
8A7CD9D5-3C36-408B-9933-CA1BDCD6AEBB.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Re: Why would this happen?

Post by Steve Warden »

Forgery?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That's a strange one. It has the appearance of having been engraved, like a Pantagraph, but I've never seen a forgery of a stamp that recent. Nor is there any monetary value in forging a knife of that recent vintage.

The only thing I can think of is that it was a very light stamp that for some reason someone tried to make deeper. ::shrug:: Which indicates it has been tampered with.

Ken

Edit: the knife appears to gave a pattern stamp starting with a "9", which would be some synthetic handle covers, like imitation pearl. Picture looks like it has bone or wood covers.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

It's a Corelon handle - one of those that Frost does on a Case knife. Wouldn't think a forgery on something like that. And why would someone tamper with that? It's advertised as "Mint in box," but I realize that doesn't mean a thing. This apparently comes from someone who just sells stuff, not a collector.
Attachments
Corelon.jpg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The engraving in the shield is light too. ::shrug::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You don't think Frosty is swapping out Case blades for offshore blades do you? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:28 pm You don't think Frosty is swapping out Case blades for offshore blades do you? ::shrug::
Not until now! ::rotflol:: 8)
8)
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I think it's legit. Possibly they missed annealing the tang on this one. Could be any number of reasons, but why would someone bother monkeying around with blades on a $60 knife that's available from a pile of retailers?

Eric
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I agree with Eric. I checked several Case knives I have listed and some are just like this and others have the darker appearance.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Maybe Frost bought these cheap from Case as factory seconds. ::shrug::
Tim
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Thanks to all of you who offered up your thoughts. With situations like this, I suppose we’ll never know the answer. As for tampering, there’s just no reason for anyone to mess with a $50-$60 knife, like Eric said. I can’t see Case passing on seconds to Frost - in the end, it’s still a Case knife bearing the Case name. SSK made a good point - there are some Case knives that don’t have the coloring in the stamp - after seeing what he said, I checked some of mine, and, sure enough, there are knives that just have the imprint, no color. Bottom line, this knife does - IMHO - seem to have had some coloring in the stamp at one time - I could be wrong. I suppose one of those puzzles that we’ll never know the answer. Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I appreciate everyone on this Forum!
Tim
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Tim that's just something that happens with annealing. Sometimes you get scale and sometimes you don't. Sometimes when you do it's so thin and loose that it flakes off easily. I see the same on hundred year old blades as well. Some have dark stamps and some are barely colored, if at all.

Eric
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

ea42 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 am Tim that's just something that happens with annealing. Sometimes you get scale and sometimes you don't. Sometimes when you do it's so thin and loose that it flakes off easily. I see the same on hundred year old blades as well. Some have dark stamps and some are barely colored, if at all.

Eric
Thanks for the explanation. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Tim
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Learned something today. I thought it was cold stamped.

Bob
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:39 pm Forgery?
Really? No money to be made faking a new knife. ::uc::
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

tvic wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:29 pm Why would the dark coloring be missing from this tang stamp?
I have 5 in the golden ruby color .the tang stamps on my knifes also like your knife .Some thing in the manufacturing process not faked or tampered with .the knifes come out in sets of 6 .tiny toothpick ,peanut ,miii trapper, trapper ,,muskrat , stockman .Each pattern was produced in limited numbers of 1200 each.I picked mine up for 60-70 $ each .the knife sold out of stock online at major retailers before I could acquire # 6 .
image.jpg
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Beavertail wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:11 pm Maybe Frost bought these cheap from Case as factory seconds. ::shrug::
I think the knife were made when Covid pandemic was in full swing .
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Thanks, Thomas. To be honest, the closeup photo caused concern, but after receiving the knife, it looks just fine to me.
Tim

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”